Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetboy View Post
Hey folks, I have a CZ527 in .22 Hornet that I purchased 2nd hand. It shoots nicely on most fodder and is a pleasure to own. I can load it single round or from a mag with no trouble, however all the other cz .22 hornets I've seen could only be fed from the mag, as if you try to single- round load them, that mauser extractor jammed on the case rim. Glad I've got mine! My question is:-
Is my hornet unique, or has someone relieved the extractor a bit to enable single-round loading?
On my RUGER to single load i just put the round part way into the chamber with the rim hanging low and when i work the bolt the rim slides up behind the extractor claw just as if it was feeding from the magazine.
It works for me
Wally
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 AM

Thanks for your input, Wally. Anyone else?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
My 527 in 17AH has a single shot follower ( calhoun small) and does not feed well at all. Have to push the round forward with a finger to get the bullet into the bore. Not tried it with the mag as I cant get the follower out. This is a 3 year old or so rifle and was converted from new.

A
I have this same problem with my 17AH. I have to start it into the chamber for it to feed. I think it hangs up on the case mouth due to the smaller diameter compared to a 19 Calhoon, which feeds just fine. Not a big deal, but still puzzling.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Supporting Member

Default what it is....is the extractor....

I believe the single shot adaptors allow the case to drop lower than the magazines do as the round rides in the 'channel' the single shot adapter has in it's topside. We made similar ss adaptors out of a block of black Delrin and also Teflon and had similar problems. We also purchased a few of Calhoun's metal SS adaptors. They are a very nice piece of artwork and work well in Hornet actions if the extractor is 'right'. SOME CZ 527 extractors have less room under the lip (claw) than others. We polished them, and even removed a tad of metal at the bottom of the 'fingernail/claw' so as to grab less area of a hornet rim.
When a Hornet [22 or 17] case rides forward as when being pushed by the bolt, IF it drops down into the channel of the SS adaptor [homemade or Calhoun's] the angle of the cartridge can cause it to get 'caught' in the gap the rim normally resides in, the gap between the extractor and bolt face. It can get 'caught' enough to prevent loading. We also tried a bit of polishing of the bolt face to enable the brass rim to 'slide' UP the bolt face easier, which helped a lot in some rifles.
It seems the extractors on the CZ 527s vary a bit. Try to order an extra, and get out the Dremel tool : )
We DO polish the FACE of the extractor where it is bevelled...seems to allow it to slide over the back of the case rim easier.
Also, we talked about how we would like for Calhoun to make his same SS adaptor in Delrin, black or whatever color : ) it would be lighter and 'slicker' for less friction on top where the case rims ride [not a big deal but should be easier to make, lighter and cheaper].
Hope this helps.
Tinkered with CZs a good bit.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 09-30-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 AM

Top effort in your reply. That's the type of information we needed! Great work. Any one else?