Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM

Default Why do I need it?

I'm in the fortunate position of having a .17 Rem Sako, a .222 Sako, a CZ527 Hornet, and have been offered a .222 L46 Sako with a view to re-barreling it to a .17 Mach1V. Aside from it having the box magazine that apparently feeds the Mach 1V very well, can anyone tell me why I need a Mach 1V? Go your hardest because I already really like what I've got.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Because you don't already HAVE one! nough sed?
Ken.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Because you don't already HAVE one! nough sed?
Ken.
I think that sums it up!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Depends on the Sako L46. If it is all original & in good condition it has a collector value approaching $1000, depending on condition. If it is a Deluxe model in nice shape several hundred more. If you modify it it's value will plummet. It's like turning a $1000 rifle into a $500 rifle by spending $500 to change the barrel. If it is not all original or has already been modified then it is a wonderful candidate for a custom build. I built a L46 to a 221 Fireball & a L469 to a 6x45. Both of these rifles had non-factory stocks & one had already been rebarrelled, so their collector value was already discounted when I purchased them. The Fireball feeds perfectly, so the Mach IV should be no problem. If the L46 is collector grade, it would be more prudent to choose a another rifle to build the 17 Mach IV, that you definitely "need" to complete your wonderful arsenal.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Sako re barrel

I have a few of the A1 Sakos and like them. I did re barrel several, one to a 221 FB and one to a 20 VT, both are the same parent case as your 17 M4.

Feeding from the magazine with these shorter cases can be a little tricky. Mine work pretty good if one inserts the loaded cases to the very front of the magaziine. I would do it again and would make the M4 or better yet a 17FB so as to get factory brass.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Sakos

When funded, I wouldnt pass up a singe short action round sako in good shape at a decent price.

Find stock that guarantees the inflation value equal to ever increasing demand of out of production firearms. I cant.

Personally, I wish I could buy every one I find. If not for superior trading stock and the pride and enjoyment of fondling and shooting them, then for leaving them to my children if for no other reason than their escalating value.

Some dont like the "hassle" and maybe dont approve of this but I fund a large part of my sporting purchases by buying, selling.....swapping anything connected. Probably make some enemies here saying so but.......Its not something I'm ashamed of and perfectly legal. It in itself is a hobby that I enjoy and I get to handle some BEAUTS that I know I wont keep....but should and would If possible and hope I live long enough to be able to do so and leave behind.

For now EVERY old trad bow or sporting gun I find even if I like it, gets listed a short time and IS up for trade should I find something else I want more. It's just keeping one's options open.

The old saying that "everything has a price" is accurate and there EXISTS an amount that one WOULD let the gun go for. Below that, that person wants to keep it. I've seen and sold a few at prices I shake my head over.......till 10 years later and they are going for 50-100 percent more!

My 2 cents? Money in hand? Sako L46 available in 222 at a price decent or lower than I feel the market will bear?.......Id buy it. Need be danged. Sooner or later the value of the rifle OR its value as a trader WILL be needed, by you or your loved ones.

Yeah, yeah.......I know Im "different". lol

and for those who may point fingers. Yes...the BATF and I are old friends. I had an FFL and they told me I didnt need one anymore for what Im doing...occasionally.

How's that for "trying your hardest"? An oh yeah. I totally agree with the above. Rebarrel an original Sako? Not in this lifetime.

God Bless
Steve

Last edited by Remmynut; 01-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default 17M4 or 20VT are...

... my favorite calibers! Five 17M4s, and at one time, five 20VTs. A 20" pencil barrelled 17M4 Cooper Schnabelly stocked is my all time top groundhog killer, and I won one Saubier Postal shoot with a 17M4 Cooper VE21, plus another with a Cooper VE 20VT.

The Postal shoot wins may have been fortutious, but the accuracy and general characteristics of the 221FB spinoffs make them ideal shooters.

Right now, my absolute favorite rifle is a Cooper Jackson Varmint/Target 20VT.

I like the 222, and have a 17Rem, but they will never see the action the 17M4s and 20VTs have.

I have two of the older Sakos, and while they are both really nice guns, both with original stocks and barrels, in 222 and 223, they don't get out of the safe hardly at all. I'd buy a Cooper (I am addicted) which will hold its value and shoot as well as the Sakos without rebarrelling right out of the box, and probably for about the same outlay of cash. They are nice eye candy, too.

Alex
Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunham View Post
I think that sums it up!

+1...... and because its a mans duty to have at least one of every small caliber. Either your DOING your duty or your neglecting it! Do us all a favor and stop neglecting your DUTY!

Stuffing droppings into hornet nests, pushing sleeping turkeys out of trees, peeing on the backs of possums, slinging acorns at deer, and knocking coons from the trees with corn cobs since 1970.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Need has very little to do with decisions regarding fine firearms. Neither does logic.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Thanks fella's. I suppose I meant to also enquire about the relative differences and advantages (or otherwise) of a Mach1V against a .17 Rem or .222 as a fox shooting cartridge. I like to collect the occasional skin too. Very appreciative of your input. What a great site!