Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Default .17 mach 1V Barrel life.

Anyone worn out a Mach 1V barrel yet? If you aren't on a dog mound and repeat firing, and are loading reasonably, and cleaning carefully,anyone want to guess how long a new stainless barrel in .17 Mach 1V will last? By that, I mean able to continue with sub half-inch groups. Over to the experts!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM

13,427?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Default 17 Mach 1V barrel life

No expert here, but I would guess around 15,000. Bill K
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 PM

About the same here -12,500 -15,000.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM

Holy Smokes! I'd like to have the barrels you guys have. I have one that has a documented 3725 rounds through it and it is about worn out. It will still shoot less than a half inch but it is a smooth bore for about 2 inches. I have another 450 rounds loaded to zap a few p-dogs with and then its coming off. I chambered up a new one and it's in a tube waiting to be screwed on. I have a buddy that has worn out a BUNCH of Mach IV barrels and he usually gets about the same number of rounds as I have down the tube before it gives up.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Question for BangPop

BangPop ....just curious ..... what Brand / Brands of Barrels are you guys using ?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM

I think a lot of the barrel life is due t o the individuals style of shooting.
Getting into a target rich Prairie Dog town has a tendency for most folks to just blaze away. Hot weather, rapid fire shooting, no switching of rifles can take out a barrel a lot faster.
I usually shoot with another person and our discipline has been: shoot 10 rounds then spot 10 rounds for your partner. After 20 rounds each we clean. Yeah I know, it's really tempting sitting there waiting for the solvent to work while all those dogs are just sitting there. But, we'll get to 'em.
V
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Forgot to respond to the barrel make question. I use Cooper rifles so whatever they screw on is what I use
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

Interesting.

I received the call yesterday afternoon my Cooper with it's new 20 Vt tube will arrive next Wednesday. I plan to turn 500 new 221 FB brass into 20 Vt brass and have a logbook section for this gun.

I'll let you know in 4 or 5 years when the accuracy starts going south, LOL.

I also believe, besides ow hot she is when being fired, that powder type and the pressure of the loads can make a difference in how long the throat lasts. With my Hawkeye Borescope I can see my 25-06 that has 1000+ shots, mostly 3 shots fired within 10 seconds ( Running deer competition) has the most Aligatoring of all of my arsenal.

Allen
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Default 17 M1V life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangPop View Post
Holy Smokes! I'd like to have the barrels you guys have. I have one that has a documented 3725 rounds through it and it is about worn out. It will still shoot less than a half inch but it is a smooth bore for about 2 inches. I have another 450 rounds loaded to zap a few p-dogs with and then its coming off. I chambered up a new one and it's in a tube waiting to be screwed on. I have a buddy that has worn out a BUNCH of Mach IV barrels and he usually gets about the same number of rounds as I have down the tube before it gives up.
I read a article recently (can not remember where) that made mention of how so many barrels that people feel are shot out, are not. It is in the throat area being wore. The article went on to advise and how they set the barrel back, clean the throat area/smoothed up, made sure the crown was good and went on to use that same barrel with it's own known accuracy and allowing more life. Something worth checking out. BIll K