Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Default Wilson Trimmer Shellholder .17 Mach 1V

What case-holder do you fella's use for your .17 Mach 1V, for your Wilson case trimmer? I've been advised that you need to have one made, using the reamer used to chamber your barrel, because it's an "improved" case shape via the .221 fireball. Wouldn't a .17 Fireball case-holder do the job? Or is the taper wrong?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

A puzzle indeed. By the Wilson website they offer quite a list to choose from:

17 Mach IV
17 Mach IV - new/full length sized case
17 Fireball
VarTarg - all calibers
221 Fireball
300 ACC Blackout

http://www.lewilsondirect.com/riflecaseholders.aspx
Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Supporting Member

I've had a case holder marked only ".17 MachIV" for many years, it doesn't specify fired or unfired and I bought it so long ago that my memory fails me and I'm too lazy/busy to take measurements right now . It must be for fired cases cause a fired, un-sized MachIV case out of a Cooper chamber, fits in it well.
I just put the cases I trim in that holder to check and second guess myself before I posted this but my situation is as follows.
This shell holder works well for me for: Un-sized new .221 cases as well as fired .221 Fireball cases, .20VarTarg cases fired or unfired, .17 MachIV cases fired or unfired, and .17 Fireball cases fired or unfired. I don't have a .300 Blackout.
My chambers for the VarTarg and .17 Fireball are cut by Greg Tannel and are very tight. In the case of a .17 Fireball fired in a sloppy factory chamber it quite probably wouldn't work in this holder. On my .17 Fireball very little case mouth shows out the end of the holder but certainly enough to trim a .17 Fireball fired in my rifle to length.
All those cases are supported in different places with different lengths of case mouth showing but all are supported well enough for consistent and accurate trimming.
On the other hand, I think due to how much chubbier a .17 Fireball case is over a .17 MachIV a MachIV case would be real sloppy in a .17 Fireball case holder and wouldn't trim well.

As to the advice on having one made, that's the most expensive option but a good one IMO. Personally, I'd buy a standard MachIV trimmer holder and spend that extra money having a Wilson in-line bushing neck die cut with your own reamer for better case sizing but then I'm a tightwad . There are a lot of Wilson case holders that do double/triple/quadruple duty, brings joy to an old tightwads heart .

Last edited by montdoug; 01-20-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 AM

Thank you!