Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Default 20-250 questions

I have a 20-250 with a brux 1-9 twist and stiller predator action. It has a relatively light contour barrel. I have been having some issues dialing this in.

I am trying to run the 57gr unmussig so if anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate it.

If I need to go up to a 8 twist I will just hoping I dont.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM

What you using for powder and have you tried other bullets?
Old 03-15-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Anderson View Post
What you using for powder and have you tried other bullets?

H4350 and yes I have tried some 50gr bergers as well.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:21 AM

your 1-9 twist should be fine as I have shot 40-55 gr. bullets through mine.. What's the issue with yours?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:33 AM

Default Anychance the 57 U's

may be just a tad and a half longer (more VLD'ish) as well as the near 4% increase in wgt over a 55 putting it just past stability in a 9?

I just saw a PN w/8.5 needing a new home.........in these classies.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 AM

I've ran 55s in mine quite a bit with a 9 twist, I know 2 guys that both have a 9 twist and running the Unmussigs.

What is the issue with your gun? Whats it doing or not doing?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:33 AM

using these bigger cases I believe a 1-9" is plenty for the heavies and if I ever do another rebuild its going to have a 1-10"...
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It was basically being very erratic. It would go from shooting 2 in one hole to the same load shooting 1-2" groups the next time out. I just got frustrated at the end of last season trying to get it dialed in as every time I would return to the range with varied results. I just want it to shoot under 3/4" consistently. I have taken advantage of the off season to ensure it is as clean as possible and will be starting new this season. I have the 57 gr unmussigs and will be trying the 55gr bergers as well. I just wanted some confirmation from those running the 9 twist that it will work.

On that note, what length and weight are you running on the barrel? seems like a lot of pressure in the 20-250 and there is some thought that my light contour may have excessive "whip" any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Supporting Member

Check your scope screws i had a long one touching the tenon that caused that same issue.

Did that song and dance. Also action screws.

Adam
Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkindels View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. It was basically being very erratic. It would go from shooting 2 in one hole to the same load shooting 1-2" groups the next time out. I just got frustrated at the end of last season trying to get it dialed in as every time I would return to the range with varied results. I just want it to shoot under 3/4" consistently. I have taken advantage of the off season to ensure it is as clean as possible and will be starting new this season. I have the 57 gr unmussigs and will be trying the 55gr bergers as well. I just wanted some confirmation from those running the 9 twist that it will work.

On that note, what length and weight are you running on the barrel? seems like a lot of pressure in the 20-250 and there is some thought that my light contour may have excessive "whip" any thoughts?

Mine was picky about being clean. I use it strictly as a calling rifle for coyotes in less than favorable weather conditions. Usually it'd open up from being a one hole gun to 3/4"....even have a flier or two sometimes opening up the group to over an inch.

When it was clean, after two foul shots for the next 20 or so though, it would shoot lights out. Its a #4 contour Douglas barrel finished at 23". It's done now though and will be rebarreled this summer to the same thing finished at 25" and threaded for a suppressor.

The other guys I know that shoot the 20-250 deal with excessive carbon build up as well, almost to the point of it seeming like the barrel is shot out. So keeping it clean is essential.

Try Reloader 17 in there. Mine shot phenomenal wiht R17 or 4007SSC. R17 was better in temp extremes though.

Tags
20-250, unmussig