Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 AM

Default Ruger #1V 223 long range project.

Hi all,
While 500meters isn't what some would call long distance, it is for me. Started the project due to an interest and respect for those that shoot long range well and also because I have a home smith who is a very skilled long range shooter right across the road from me. Tough he shoots 1000m and 1500m mainly.
So back to the rifle. Using the Ruger #1V as a platform, had to change a few things and there may be a few more changes yet. 26" Match S/S barrel in 1:7 twist, Kepplinger Single Set Trigger, Wollfe Competition Spring, Mould's Competition Hammer, Custom Fore End Stop and Bag Rider. The plan is to use Hornady 75grain A-Max. So far loading results are giving me only 1/2 to 3/4" MOA in initial case forming.
Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing, looks like a great project. Long range shooting is fun, have done a good bit of F-class but with a 6.5-284, not a 223. But the sling shooters and some F-TR guys are fantastic with the little gun.
Even more fun is the No 1 platform. I like the single shots, and have had fun with several No 1's. Some have been a challenge, as I'm sure you know.
How is your forend bedded? Free floated, pressure point. Tension screw?

Keep us informed on your progress.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Default Ruger No.1 223

I really like Ruger No.1's and own several, they can be challenge to tune into a good shooter. I have the fore arm hanger modified on all my rifles with a forend tuner attached to a couple of them. With that said, I wouldn't worry too much about groups until you get your brass fire formed. Hopefully you are using new high quality brass and match quality reloading techniques to put your ammo together. Another area of importance is your scope and scope mounts. Hopefully you have taken the extra time to solidly mount and mate your scope mounting surfaces so you have a stress free system, an often overlooked area.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

That's awesome! And I don't think you'll have any trouble reaching 500 meters with that.

On our first ever Saubier get together PD shoot here in NE, I brought my #1 in a 218 Bee shooting 40 gr V-max at just under 3800 fps. It was shooting .4" five shot groups at 100 yards with that load only. Anything else it was great on windage but wanted to vertical string up to over 2". At that time on that shoot it was still 100% factory (later installed s trigger). Thanks to some of the guys here who was great at spotting I was nailing PDs out to 400 yards and if I remember correctly it was before I even owned a nice rest and was using a bag of charcoal briquettes for a rest. They took done pictures that day and gave me a hard tine about killing and grilling... Anyway I was/am pleased with how that little 218 Bee preformed!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Supporting Member

Yep, ole ''kill and grill'' Gary. That was my first hunt and a great one it was. Thanks for that memory. Unfortunately Rem has passed.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

An awesome memory! You guys sure showed this country kid how to shoot long distance and Rem was getting me on em that day!

Love shooting the #1s! This thread is giving me the 'wants' to get out the ML#1 17 Killer Bee on go shoot something

That plate looks like it's just the ticket for some long range work!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
An awesome memory! You guys sure showed this country kid how to shoot long distance and Rem was getting me on em that day!

Love shooting the #1s! This thread is giving me the 'wants' to get out the ML#1 17 Killer Bee on go shoot something

That plate looks like it's just the ticket for some long range work!
Hi GLWenl,
I have had four #1s in 218Bee, loved them all, 1/4" MOA from all of them using Alliant 2400 12-12.5grains pushing a 40grain Hornady V-Max pill. Just sold mine to make way for the next project. and this is the baby I'm going to build it on. What do you guys think.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Supporting Member

Beautiful rifle! And that's sure a big a$$ picture
Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Beautiful rifle! And that's sure a big a$$ picture
Thanks hotshot, it is gorgeous. Not sure it deserves a place in my safe or someone else.