Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Caliber Poll on what caliber to build using this donor.

G'day all,
Have this gorgeous custom Ruger #1 in the safe that I originally bought as an investment to resell. But I have been years now and cant bring myself to parting with it, will never get a chance to own another like this.
NOW, most important here. Please read the following before suggesting a caliber. I need a replacement caliber for small game, primarily Red Fox. Just sold my fourth 218Bee, which works perfectly for me and my targeted species. Have a 223 #1V already and its a Long Range Build. Have had 220 Swifts, too big for me, had a few small 17s, 17 Fireball was pretty cool.
Need low recoil, low noise, using Varmint 40-45 grain pills.
Have an issue with the existing Fore End, the rifle has a very heavy barrel and the Fore End has a deep and wide barrel channel.
Though I love the existing stock with its Tear Drop Buffalo Highlights and Fore End Tip, I could sell it or keep it and refit a #1B or #1V stock set instead. Do I just stick with the 218Bee that I'm very familiar with or is there something else to consider.
Sorry this is a little longer post than what I intend, but wanted to include as much info as I could think of. Over to you guys now, what are your thoughts/suggestions.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 PM

You didn't mention what caliber it is now. Changing case heads will require extractor/ejector mods. If having to do those mods doesn't matter you will have more options. Based on your quarry, red fox, and your low noise, low recoil desires I'd go with a 20 Vartarg or 19 Badger. Lower noise yet would be a 20 AH or 19 Calhoon.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM

221 fireball?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 04-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Supporting Member

This is just me, but before I did any change-ups to the original, I'd try to find what I could about the lineage of that rifle. It obviously wasn't put together by a neighborhood gunsmith.

As an investment, if you can determine the actual builder, it might afford you to chooses several buildS on other platforms.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Supporting Member

Sell it and buy a custom bolt action . I had a #1 B in 223,took work to make it shoot accurately { moa} Yes it was neat action,still is.Build it your way.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Supporting Member

Well, if you can't bring yourself to part with it, you better build it into something you will use and "enjoy". It's going to take a bit of work to rebarrel it and/or change calibers.
First thought would be a .221 Fireball. (one of my favorite rounds)
Or, a 20 VT. Smaller caliber but I don't think you'll gain much.

I've heard tell that those Ruger #1 rifles are a bear to make shoot?? And when they do?? Not first hand experience. That's probably the main reason I don't own one at this minute.

"Or, get it tuned up so it's accurate in the 218 Bee". If it's quiet enough and with comfortable recoil, I'd be building. You've had the Bee and seem to like that round so, build it and go shooting.

?? Is this the .223 you're making into a long range gun? If so, tune it and see how it shoots before making any caliber changes.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 04-11-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

are you still shooting your #1 .308 in silhouette?

But Id make this a .218B or .20 Killerbee If you can find any brass.

ML
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM

I'm in the same camp as a few other responders. Sell it and get something you're going to make useful. Changing parts around in that rifle is like buying a Porsche and trying to make it in to a Corvette.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:15 PM

For me, it would have to be something special - a 7x57R or 7x65R, or perhaps a 9.3x74 or .375Flanged Magnum.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Supporting Member

Do what some if these guys say and sell. Sell it to me.... Lol

This seems like too nice of a rifle to use as a field Gun.

It looks like a great piece to hand down from one family member to the other...

If it was me and I didn't like the current chambering then I'd do a build off the 357 Max brass.

I like em all so well I'm not sure which one I'd do on it right now. I believe you can go full length 22 caliber for a rimmed triple deuce. OR the rimmed 221 FB and of course you could spend more money on custom dies and do a 17 or 20 version in either.

I would probably have to do the 17 Wenzl Special which is a 17 Jet run in deep that happens to be very similar to Ray's 17 Jav Imp. They are all smaller case capacity then the 17-222 but have the 17-222 performance.

That's a sweetheart!