Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Question Digital Powder Dispenser / Scale Combo

Folks ,
I'm looking into the digital powder / scale combos and wondering if anyone is using them ? If so what brand and the pros and cons . Would you buy one again?
I'm wondering about the Pact because it's made in the USA and they use to make the scales for rcbs .
Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Good Shooting
Soup
Old 12-05-2016, 05:01 PM

Default Digital powder/scale combo

Do not have the combo unit, but did buy a Hornady Auto Charge, with reads out in a digital view. And have a digital small scale, that I bought a year or so back, and do double check on occasion loads. But have found the read out on the auto charge is one the money.
A friend has the RCBS Charge Master and has not issues with it either. Both are on sale at a couple dealers at present, so you can save money on either one. i.e. Midway, Graf & Son to name a couple. Bill K
Old 12-05-2016, 08:23 PM

I have the Rcbs charge master. I find it to be accurate and easy to use. I would buy it again no question. I had an old Lyman 1500 combo and after a few years it wouldn't hold calibration. keep in mind this was the first model im sure they have improved but I'm loving my Rcbs. One thing to note once you get any auto dispenser I doubt your reloading bench will ever be without one.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Default digital powder dispenser

I have a RCBS powder dispenser and scale that's about 25 years old. These were made by Pact for RCBS. I don't know if Pact still makes them for RCBS. I had it serviced and upgraded to the speedier version by Pact about 14 years ago and it's been working perfectly. You can't beat their customer service! I would definitely buy again, if I ever do! Looks like this one will last forever!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rcbs

I've got one of the older units, about 16yrs old. I've calibrated it once when I set it up and have left it alone with no issues. I understand the newer ones are faster and was not aware that you could upgrade one?? Mine is the 2pc unit, scale and powder thrower, and it's hard for me to think of not having it.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
I have the Rcbs charge master. I find it to be accurate and easy to use. I would buy it again no question. I had an old Lyman 1500 combo and after a few years it wouldn't hold calibration. keep in mind this was the first model im sure they have improved but I'm loving my Rcbs. One thing to note once you get any auto dispenser I doubt your reloading bench will ever be without one.
BIG fan of the Chargemaster too. When I'm loading for a PD trip it sure makes life a lot easier.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 PM

Heck, I figured I was on the cutting edge of technology adding an electronic trickler to my Ohaus beam scale!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:58 PM

I've got an RCBS combo. Its the older one, bought it about 14 years ago. I haven't used it in years. If you're interested in buying it send me a PM.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2016, 01:28 AM
Supporting Member

http://www.autotrickler.com

Adam
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 PM

I have had the Pact for several years and it has been reliable. I bought the scale first and then after a couple of years bought the dispenser. I think I had to send the scale in for an upgrade in order to work with the dispenser but the newer ones probably don't need that.

If you are used to using a loading block and a powder measure, you will want to change your procedure from batch processing to single or it will be a big disappointment. What I mean by that is instead of priming 50 cases, charging 50 cases, seating 50 bullets, etc. You will want to prime a case, transfer a charge, start the next dispense, seat a bullet while it is dispensing and repeat. This way you are not waiting for the powder.

I have found that the dispenser is very useful if I want to load up 10 or 20 rounds for deer hunting or if I am working up a load and need to vary the charge every five rounds or so. If I have an established load and I am going to do 50 or 100, I will use a powder measure.

If I am going to just load a couple rounds to try something, I will hand weigh the powder. The main reason is that it takes a little time to fill the dispenser, let it calibrate itself, and then empty it when I am done.

YMMV
Jerry