Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-11-2017, 01:33 PM

I have been very happy with the .19 Badger. It meets your high volume, low heat needs plus has great accuracy and splat factor with the 32 gr. DHP's.

On high volume days I only clean once during the day, and of course when finished.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Not duplicating more than one recommendation per poster there are 5 votes for the 20VT, 2 votes for 17HH and 1 vote for the 19C.

The 20VT is where I started planning this project over a year ago. I liked my 17FB so well I thought that the VT would also be excellent but as the time got closer for me to order the barrel I started doing more comparisons and I liked most of what I was seeing. My final list was actually a lot larger initially. One thing I looked at to narrow the field down was component and die availability. I eventually steered away from the cartridges that required form dies or major case modifications. Maybe in the future I will have more time for this type of project but right now I just want to load and shoot and the ones I ended up choosing from have an excellent die and component selection for the most part.

Whatever my final choice is I plan on trying a X-Caliber barrel with a contour right around .700-.750" at the 20-22" finish length. Kind of want a combo bench / field rifle. My 17 Tac that I use for coyote hunting has a Krieger barrel with a .700" muzzle and it points and carries excellent.

Thanks for the opinions and keep them coming. Any pictures anyone wants to add for examples is very welcomed. I get a good feel for how a rifle may handle by the pictures posted.

Last edited by coyotezapper; 06-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Default Need opinion on New build

Coyotezapper. Give me a email and I can send you a couple photo's never can get photo's too post on site ) of my 20 SCC ( which is the 20 VT improved) and also a photo or two of my shooting buddies rifle, for you too look at. The photo's show how well this cartridge works on some critters i.e. Rock chucks/rabbits. We both have Xcaliber barrels in med to heavy contour and with 24 inch 3groove, 1/11 twist.
You would be happy with a Xcaliber or even other brands, contoured to your liking and again, in the 20 VT or even improved. ( give me you email in a PM, if you desire ) Bill K
Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

I would vote for the 20 VT. Real easy to make brass. One pass thru the VT die and you're ready to go shooting. I wasn't too impressed with mine. Read the next line.
I still think the .221 Fireball can't be beat. My favorite round. LOTS of brass available. Got one in a converted to rifle XP 100 action. Deadly accurate.
And you could go with a "20" fireball. Just a necked down job if you want a 20 caliber.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:38 PM

Another vote for the 20VT. I mean, what's not to like?

Rick
Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox1947 View Post
Another vote for the 20VT. I mean, what's not to like?

Rick
I vote 20VT also. I went through almost the same progression you have with calibers. The 20VT was what I went with on my last build, can't believe I waited this long. Great cartridge.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 AM

Default 19 cal Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
I have been very happy with the .19 Badger. It meets your high volume, low heat needs plus has great accuracy and splat factor with the 32 gr. DHP's.

On high volume days I only clean once during the day, and of course when finished.
I have shot about 1500 Double Hollow Points in a 19-223 and although they are fairly explosive my opinion is the BK or VMax's are more better. The biggest problem is you get a zinger once in while. I am sure the 19 B is a great little cool shooting case though.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Johnson View Post
I have shot about 1500 Double Hollow Points in a 19-223 and although they are fairly explosive my opinion is the BK or VMax's are more better. The biggest problem is you get a zinger once in while. I am sure the 19 B is a great little cool shooting case though.
My buddy Dan tried the 32 gr. BK's and he liked the dhp's better. I don't have any left or I would try to do another comparison, just for fun. Maybe the tipped Bullets indeed provide more splat?

Anyway, there are several great cartridges available that would meet the op's needs. We've done well with the Badger, particularly shooting high volume.

I really like the .221 FB, but too much heat and fouling on a busy day compared to the Badger.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 PM

Default New build

Another vote for the 20VT. I shoot a lot of PDs with one of mine and a few coyotes with the other.
Only down side is finding the right action to build a repeater. The sako A1 works great. The rem 700 does also, but ONLY if it is a factory fireball chambering. With a non factor Rem 700 fireball action you will have big feeding and ejection issues. Been there and done that.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM

Thanks all for your input. My first choice when I began this build was a 20VT and guess I should not have looked any further.

A big thanks to Bill K for his pictures and suggestions he gave me. Bill, your shoots look like our setups so we must me doing something right!!