Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Default 22 cal sub 40 grain bullets

Anyone use 22 cal bullets that are less than 40 grains for PD size varmints at ranges of 150 yards and less? Thinking 218 Bee and 22 hornet cartridges.
Any recommendation or should I stay with 40 grain?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have a TC Contender in 22 H factory barrel, and had it rechambered to 221 FB.

The only thing I've shot through it is the 35gr. V-max. I didn't load them very hot, and they grouped pretty good at 100 yds. The BC on the 35 V-max, isn't much better than a round ball.

So far I haven't shot it past that range.

Jim
Old 11-06-2017, 03:35 AM

the armscor 22 tcm bullet may expand at said velocities. i've shot them at 22 mag velocities 2200-2300 and it still has quite a bit of power but not sure if it opened up as it penetrated 3 gallons of water.

barnes makes 30 and 36gr varmint grenades. speer has the 33gr tnt and 30gr green bullet. mid south and midway have their nosler made 34 gr hp's (varmint nitemare and dogtown) sometimes shooter pro shop sell the same bullet under the "shots" branding.

now for reference 22lr sub sonic loads generally don't expand much (the 38gr remington is one of the better of the bunch) although cci has a new one I haven't played with. these are pure soft lead so chances that a jacketed hp may expand will likely be far less.

you could possibly play with drilling out the HP cavity deeper/larger ect. to get expansion at subsonic velocities to get expansion.

stay as heavy as possible as the wind will blow these tiny bullets around at subsonic velocities after around 100 yards. more mass will help combat this at the expense of more drop.

bullet drop will also become an issue around 80+ yards.

last question. do you have a suppressor? if not why the worry of subsonic? I have loaded a similar case capacity cartridge with a mere 3.5gr of titegroup powder to get that 2200 ft/sec load and its no louder than a 22lr because of the fast burning powder.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

About 20yrs ago I loaded them in a .223. One holers at 100yds, same as 40gr.

One day after another member and I were done calling coyotes
we came onto a bunch of p/dogs about 250yds.
He told me to bust a few. I dropped to prone with a bipod as I've never missed it seemed like.

Bullets scattered all over the hillside. Couldn't have been less
than 100yard "grouping" if you could call it that. Best "scattergun" I've ever fired! No clue where the next one would hit.

Another time I fired one at maybe 80 yards at a big standing coyote a few feet back in 2' high dead dry sunflowers not too thick. Flakes must have stung him as we couldn't get 'em to stop running hard with lots of barks and calls. We looked the area over and found tiny copper and lead particles on the stems. That was a SURE shot!

My advice since: "keep 'em less than 200yds and out in the open" they should be good then. OR even better: use 40gr and don't worry about it. Still have some of the loads and what hadn't been loaded from a box of 250. Doubt I'll ever use them now.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-06-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
the armscor 22 tcm bullet may expand at said velocities. i've shot them at 22 mag velocities 2200-2300 and it still has quite a bit of power but not sure if it opened up as it penetrated 3 gallons of water.

barnes makes 30 and 36gr varmint grenades. speer has the 33gr tnt and 30gr green bullet. mid south and midway have their nosler made 34 gr hp's (varmint nitemare and dogtown) sometimes shooter pro shop sell the same bullet under the "shots" branding.

now for reference 22lr sub sonic loads generally don't expand much (the 38gr remington is one of the better of the bunch) although cci has a new one I haven't played with. these are pure soft lead so chances that a jacketed hp may expand will likely be far less.

you could possibly play with drilling out the HP cavity deeper/larger ect. to get expansion at subsonic velocities to get expansion.

stay as heavy as possible as the wind will blow these tiny bullets around at subsonic velocities after around 100 yards. more mass will help combat this at the expense of more drop.

bullet drop will also become an issue around 80+ yards.

last question. do you have a suppressor? if not why the worry of subsonic? I have loaded a similar case capacity cartridge with a mere 3.5gr of titegroup powder to get that 2200 ft/sec load and its no louder than a 22lr because of the fast burning powder.
Not sure where the sub sonic issue came from.. that is not what I am looking for.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 PM

I used hornady 35gr v/max in my 22 hornet with a muzel vel of 3,100 ft/sec "advertised" did a good job on rabbits and occasional fox
Old 11-06-2017, 03:24 PM

I've used the 36 grain Barnes varmint grenades in a 222. Let's just say they have wicked terminal performance on prairie dogs at the range you're looking at!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post

I've been shooting these substantially this last year on gophers, cottons, HUGE prairie dogs & jacks. They have been outstanding, very accurate & unbievably destructive out of my CZ 527 22 TCM, 1:7 twist. That said, so far i have kept my shots to less than 200 yards in this rifle. I have been so impressed with the outcome with these little guys that after waiting 6 months for them to come off of back order, I actually just ordered 3,000 while they are in stock. Going to eventually also try them in my .221 & .223. I think that they are pretty tough to beat for $0.06/piece.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 11-06-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 PM

If you run the ballistics on them compared to the 40 grain Vmax the retained energy bleeds down really fast after 100 yards. The drift and drop is much better with the 40 grain bullet. 28-2900fps is fairly easy to reach with decent pressure.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:33 PM

I agree with moorepower's comment. I tried 35gr VMAX, both factory and with handloads in my Hornets, and found that the wind drift even at 100yds was horrible if there was any wind at all. Using 40VMAX or even the 40 or 45gr Hornet specific bullets from Sierra or Hornady are much better in my experience.