Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default anyone tried the .224 valkyrie yet

6.8 spc necked down to .224 for heavy bullits. 3250 with a 60 gr bullet
Old 04-14-2018, 12:21 AM

One reply, why? A .223 Remington does it, so nothing new.

Accuracy might be the only reason in my mind, but a .22 PPC does that as well as a whole host of other cartridges.

So, yep, something is "new" but it doesn't mean I need to get it. I have several useful tools in my tool chest, but I doubt I need three 2 lb claw hammers.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 AM

Default Anyone tried the .224 Valkyrie yet ?

If I were to get a upper, maybe. But as far as bolt actions go, I will stick with the old tried and true 22-250. Bill K
Old 04-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
If I were to get a upper, maybe. But as far as bolt actions go, I will stick with the old tried and true 22-250. Bill K
Bill, yep, the 22-250 is far better suited.

If it were more accurate than a .22PPC THEN you will have my attention.

https://load-data.nosler.com/nosler-...on-AI-60gr.pdf

It would be sort of like trying to convince me and others that for a .172" 25gr HNDY VMAX I need to buy a whole different setup when my .172FB or .17MIV can suffice with 3808fps, or when I really want speed I can do this with a 17gr over a17FB case full of H4198.

Last edited by 17tbs; 04-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I was thinking in terms of those that have at-15 in 6.8 spc and wanted to have a .224 bore, simply switch the upper and go. why does anyone have multi calibers, cause they can, none of this has anything to do with need.
this cartridge was designed to shoot a 90 gr bullet for 1000 shots. haven't seen any test results in a bolt action yet but if the .224 shoots anything like the 6.8 spc it should be a winner and a little easier on barrels than the wonderful 22-250, I love my A.I..
Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 PM

I think its a great cartridge within the confines of the AR15 platform. beyond that there are other options that are better. with bullets like the 95gr smk and federals new 90+gr fusion (was supposed to be 100gr but think they went down in weight) its going to be the cartridge to beat for long range again within the confines of the platform.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 PM

So what does this cartridge offer over the 22 Nosler? Isn't the 224 Valkyrie a near identical cartridge to the 22 Nosler?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
So what does this cartridge offer over the 22 Nosler? Isn't the 224 Valkyrie a near identical cartridge to the 22 Nosler?
22 nosler has a little more case capacity,has a longer case and uses the .223 case head. meaning given the confines of the AR platform the 22 nosler would be better suited for the lighter bullets due to mag length constraints.

The valkyrie has a stronger case head but requires a 6.8 spc bolt. the valkyrie also has a shorter case which allows usage of the long vld's which is where it makes up for the reduction in case capacity vs the 22 nosler. whats the ol addage. velocity is temporary..BC like diamonds is forever.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:02 PM

I have been thinking a lot about the two cartridges, the Nosler is a proprietary cartridge available, so far, only from Nosler. The Valkyrie requires the 6.8 bolt head. Both cartridges have a draw back.

I think that for a light, walk around bolt gun for varmint hunting up to deer/medium game, either one would be great shooting a 6mm bullet. You would be able to shoot 55grn all the way up to 100grn bullets effectively with the same rifle. I have a Mini Mauser begging for a barrel, I just might do it!

Time to decide between the two.....

Marcos (elalto)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 PM

I see there is a fair size following of the 6x6.8. I had high hopes of a 6mm Nosler after the shot show this year.

I often have to step back and look at these "new" cartridges from a different angle to see what the purpose is.

I as a LOT of other folks have fooled with a fair amount of wildcats. We tend to pooh pooh a new one just from a one sided angle at times.

I want to puke every time I read what a 30x221 type cartridge can do. I fooled with them when very few folks ever dreamed of one, let alone heard of one. Now it is how did we ever do with out it?
After several years of using one on on a weekly basis, I have an opinion for sure.

The newest latest greatest darling of the shooting community, I am not sold on yet and refuse to jump on the wagon. Number one for sure is the vast amount of quality brass available for it.
Is it just an inherently accurate cartridge and we are just now finding it out?
I think a whole bunch of it is pure and plain marketing, excellent marketing.
Why does it shoot so good for many? Less recoil and muzzle blast ranks right at the top. All of the gurus say it is, so it has to be. Built in confidence is a plus always.
Buddy of mine pushes it. He made a comment that it finished in the top 15 out of forty shooters at a local match..........out of the forty there were only three other cartridges used,lol.

I won't knock any of the new cases we see come out. I do look and see what can be done to make them do other jobs. More wildcats:-).

Last edited by JSH; 04-15-2018 at 12:13 PM.