Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Supporting Member

Drew, you have done awesome projects going on! I’m plugging my ears though, I don’t want to hear it because I’ve been trying my best to thin the herd as if lately lol

On the bullets, (and I’m not sure about the CA laws) one other option would be to get a group buy together. When we did this early 2000s for the 17/17s the large number of bullets really got their attention and it was a done deal until steve got wind of it and shut it down due the velocity limits. The 15.5 doesn’t have low velocity limits and might be easier to do?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default Nosler response

Got this reply from Nosler today interesting:

Drew,

At this time I have not heard of any plans to introduce a 17 caliber lead free bullet. I think the issue is that the OAL of a lead free 17 cal bullet would be too long to adequately stabilize in the standard 17cal SAAMI twist rates which is why you haven't seen anything like that from us. I will forward your interest up the ladder.

Best regards,

Nosler Inc.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 AM

Sent a letter in to support the cause. never a bad thing to have more options

ETA: just received a response from Hornady.

"Thank you for writing in to us and thanks for the kind works about the bullet. As lead free legislation is becoming a thing, I believe our sales department will take a good look at making this bullet available for hand loaders. I will pass along a request on your behalf."

Sounds like there may be hope!

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-20-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:08 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for reaching out to the big boys. I've done the same for heavier .17 bullets (25-30gr) with no luck. Until we can get the needed pressure perhaps take a look at the 18gr offering from Lehigh Defense. https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...lets/rifle+172
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Default They already make the bullet.....

You would think that they could simply decide to make some labels and package the 15.5’s for resale to reloaders.I bet once the law is enacted it will be easier for them to go forward with this.
Matt
Old 08-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Supporting Member

I am surprised by Nosler's reply, knowing the 15.5 loaded in 17HH ammo seems accurate, but I realize most reloaded 17 calibers push more velocity than the 17HH is loaded to.

Any ballistics calculating folks know if the 15.5 Lead free ( or the 17 grain lehigh) is really marginal with factory tubes twist like a 17 rem fireball has?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Any ballistics calculating folks know if the 15.5 Lead free ( or the 17 grain lehigh) is really marginal with factory tubes twist like a 17 rem fireball has?[/quote]

I am going to give them a try in my 17 Fireball and hope they do better than what I found when I tried them in a 17 VHA. They worked very well, accurate and devastating on ground squirrels and rabbits, up to around 125 yards, but after that they seemed to start scattering in group size. This was the Lehigh 17 grain. They really do a number when you hit a critter, but are a little rich for my blood to shoot in great numbers, in the squirrel field.. Bill K

Rechecked the box. 18 grain.. right.

Last edited by Bill K; 08-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default Hornet

I shoot them into Ruger hornet, and they are ruff on crows out to 100yds. And I mean bad to the bone ruff!!!!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Any ballistics calculating folks know if the 15.5 Lead free ( or the 17 grain lehigh) is really marginal with factory tubes twist like a 17 rem fireball has?

I am going to give them a try in my 17 Fireball and hope they do better than what I found when I tried them in a 17 VHA. They worked very well, accurate and devastating on ground squirrels and rabbits, up to around 125 yards, but after that they seemed to start scattering in group size. This was the Lehigh 17 grain. They really do a number when you hit a critter, but are a little rich for my blood to shoot in great numbers, in the squirrel field.. Bill K
Lehigh bullets in .172" are either 18 or 20 grain, not 17 grain, from the Varminter.com site:

The Lehigh Defense bullets have a listed ballistics coefficient of 0.137. You will find that their 18 grain Controlled Chaos bullet sheds much less energy when compared to the Hornady 15.5 grain NTX* bullet that has a listed 0.115 bc. (*These bullets are not available from Hornady as a reloading component. It is only available in their loaded .17.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...lets/rifle+172
Old 08-06-2018, 11:04 PM

Default 15.5 NTX 17 caliber

In fact, I just loaded some 18 grain Lehigh's in some 17 FB to test and run through the Chrony, in the next few days and see how they do, do. Might even find a jackrabbit to test some on. Note Lehigh says 2000-4200 and my other loads with 20 grain bullets usually run around 4100. Bill K