Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-25-2018, 06:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default Looking at Anschutz 17 HMR's Opinions please

I am totally unfamiliar with Anschutz rifles, other than having a very good reputation for accuracy. I see there are 3 different models, being the 1517, 1717 and 1727. I guess what I'm looking for is what price one would expect to pay for a very good condition used one and the differences between the models.

Thanks in Advance for any light you can shed on these models for me.

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 12-25-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Not an expert by any means, but there are several models and stock types of each action. I believe the 1517 is a 64 bolt action and the 1727 is a toggle action. The 1717 might be a 54 bolt action, but that is not listed in the current catalog. They are all very good quality rifles, and are all pretty expensive (think $800-$2500). You might try searching through the Anschutz forum on rimfirecentral.com to do some reading.

link here for Anschutz: https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...=109&sprache=1
Old 12-25-2018, 08:00 PM

Top of the consumer line is the 1717s with 54 actions. 1517s have the 64 action. Triggers are different but outstanding on all Anschutz rifles. Match models in the 64 action line start at almost 1500, in the 54 action line, almost 3000. I have a 17HMR MPR. It's extremely accurate and the trigger is adjustable.
I own two Annie pistols and two other rifles in HM2. The triggers are precision and do NOT like ANY dirt.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default Anschutz

I like that thumb hole Varmint on the 1516! Cool looking light weight rifle!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Banned

Default Anschutz

1517. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:05 AM
Supporting Member

I did a little window shopping, Buds has a sporter model 1517 @ 695 and I found a classic heavy barrel 1517 @ 725 both NIB

Does anyone know if the heavy barrels come free floated from the factory or if they have a bedding point. Leaning towards the heavy barrel.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:08 AM

I've shot a 1422 sporter (54 action) for a number of years. Really nice gun as are all Anschutz guns. Acquired a 1517 more recently and has become my rimfire cartridge on some of the prairie dog trips. Very accurate rifle and saw a bunch of use last summer as we got into a whole lot of uneducated prairie dogs. Only drawback that I don't like is the 4 round magazines, but that is because I am too used to 5 round mags. Mine is the sporter version and my FIL picked one up in a varmint profile. I do like the wide fore end for using on sandbags. For those prices, I would pick one of the Anschutz 17s instead of the CZ 17s. After shooting the Anschutz, I sold the 452 that I had in the 17HMR.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Supporting Member

I currently have 2 Anschutz Rifles. A 1730 .22 Hornet Model 54 in Meister Grade with a scandalous stick on it and a model I think is discontinued, a model they called the MPR in .17 HMR. The MPR was made with a 26 inch barrel which makes absolutely zero sense to me but it does have the target trigger which is sweet, so when I was informed by a friend that another friend of ours had one for sale that he'd cut the barrel to about 19 inches on, I was on it like a duck on a June Bug!!! 19 inches just so happens to be the optimum barrel length for velocity in the .17 HMR in "Bullberry Barrel Works" .17 HMR velocity test. It is in the same Beaver-tail fore-end stock as one of the rifles I see they are making in HMR today. I just saw that on their web site. I went to it when I read this thread.
I also have An Anschutz 17LP Varmint Pistol in HMR on the 64 action and it is a gas! It's left handed which works best for a right handed shooter with a bolt action Hand-Gun. At 50 yards it's a one hole pistol and at 100 it's a solidly under an inch shooter if the shooter does their part (pretty amazing for a ten inch barrel). Anschutz makes accurate firearms.

I was curious on prices for the 17 LP Varmint and what they are asking for them where I could find em. They were between $500.00 and $1,000.00 without optics. Just curious as I know their value and wondered how it might compare to used rifles.

The cut down MPR (Muti-Purpose-Rifle) I have was about $1,495.00 new. The new Beaver-Tail HMR they make now with a 23 inch barrel is over $1,000.00 if you could find one.

This is mine and quite similar to the factory rifle only a shorter, heavier barrel.

After I got mine shipped to me I mounted the scope and hot footed to the range. After a quick sight in I found one of those "Shoot-N-See" targets some slob had left hanging on the board at 109 yards (we use meters) for our berms and target boards. I fired a 5 shot weather report at the 9 on the bottom of that target. Shrink that dime back to actual size and it gives ya an idea of the Anschutz .17 HMR's accuracy, wind drifted one to the left a bit too.

To me it is a very accurate rifle and I love it as a truck gun for gophers.

Not sure about prices and I'd guess they are going to be difficult to find used. I'd guess the used are going to be priced high cause most seem to think they are gold plated. Guess I feel the same about mine too as much as I like em .
New, I know that Anschutz advertising them in their brochures and you actually being able to find what you want that you see in the current brochure can be two entirely different matters. I've watched a few of my friends go "Bat-House" trying to track one down. I know one friend wanted the Beaver-Tail model 64 in .22 Magnum and he near drove himself crazy before he finally gave up and got something else. Anschutz must sell all they want cause they sure don't seem to much care what U.S. customers feel about things.
I know I sound like a prophet of doom and perhaps it's because I live in a small town in Montana so online or in a bigger city with more gun stores it might be different. On the positive side, if you do find one they are very accurate rifles and handguns in everyone of em I've seen.
Not much help on your questions Aaron but I hope you find just what your looking for cause IMO they are worth it. I do know the model 1517 can be the Beaver-Tail .17 HMR that is my favorite .17 HMR but comes in other models too. The 1727 is the Fortner straight pull been used in Biathlon for ages. Better have a big ole fat wallet on that one. Check the ones on this link. Also comes in an HMR I believe and you don't have to buy a Meister Grade so they can be had for less cash.
https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com...ion_.22lr.html

As a total aside guys, when I was looking at their web site I discovered that Anschutz is making a model 1771 in .17 Hornady Hornet. Got my heart a thumping a lot faster then an old guys should but that's a topic for another thread.

Keep us posted what ya find Aaron as you might can tell I'm a rabid Anschutz fan.
Probably a big brain-trust on Anschutz over on Rim-fire Central if it's rim-fire's you are interested in.
Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

Default Anschutz

Go to you tube Steve does a good report on the Anschutz varmint in 17 hmr! The boy from Australia does a good report on that high dollar Anschutz 17 hmr!!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:40 PM

My pet HMR is the Anschutz 1517HB. After fielding it for four years, I can say it's the most accurate 17HMR I've ever owned, and my quest for another has ended.

The HB is indeed free-floated, the trigger breaks clean w/o creep or over-travel, and the stock fits me perfectly.

I give it high marks, but these chucks would most likely disagree....

Mine came from a local pawn shop with little or no use, fitted with a Leupold M8 6X, it went out the door for $650.