Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

What he just said!!!!🔼
Old 12-27-2018, 05:28 PM

The newest Anschutz 54 that I have is an left hand 1808EDS(??) running boar rifle with the bloop tube. An offhand marvel for a factory rifle, but capable of putting shots on top of one another with ease, good ammo of course.

If I was going to venture into a sporter, the old 54 Savage/Anschutz sporters really come to mind, they made them in 22mag fwiw............so with that, a new 17 cal barrel it would probably be a very nice rifle all in all.............if you are right handed of course. Guess they did make a very limited number of 54 sporters in that era without the heavy roll over cheekpiece, but only have seen two in my life.............yeah, I know, restock..........but there limits I guess.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Supporting Member

Wink

Thanks for the additional reply's guys. I've got nothing against CZ's except that awful back asswards safety. I've had Ruger 77's and model 70 Winchesters too long. I tried a CZ and found myself in a compromised "safety" position more than once. For that reason alone I've checked them off my list. A few hundred dollars more for peace of mind and the "safety" factor I feel comfortable with is a small price to pay for not having an accident.

I surely relate to the high volumes of shooting before losing accuracy but I don't believe what I have intentions for with this rifle, I will wear it out in my life time. Then again, If one were to wear out the barrel it surely wouldn't be the first time we had a premium aftermarket barrel screwed on...….

Thanks again for all the views and opinions, It's always nice to hear "both sides of the story" so to speak.

Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 12-27-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Supporting Member

Rick early 54 Sporters are great shooters. Mine is prior to the deal with Savage. Only down side is that roll over comb on the stock. I've wanted to restock mine too.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 AM

I probably am dating myself, but the old early 54 sporters are just a beautiful rifle to me. Very fortunate to have one, a 22lr version, with the fancy stock and shotgun tang. The new 54 sporters, if that is the correct name, are very nice; but the old slender stock with the 54 action wins the heart every time.

I have heard of the hornet models being converted to a 17 hornet whatever, but never heard of one converted to 17hmr, so thought it might be time for someone to show one maybe.

I remember factory old model sporters without the rollover, but pretty few and far between, never had one; but looking you know. I modify at the drop of a hat anymore, but the original 54 sporter stocks with the rollover are pieces of art to me, just cannot get there; so it gets used as is.............

I am unaware of an outfit doing the old sporter stock for a 54, semi inletted or otherwise. A few outfits will do a custom stock mimicing the original closely, but too old to mortgage my house again................well........think so anyway....

Ray, glad to hear you are enjoying the old sporter........it will continue to serve you well for a while yet........
Old 12-28-2018, 02:10 AM

I agree on the old Model 54 22ir Sporters with the rollover stock. I lusted after one for years, but couldn't spring for one and finally gave up. The stock fits me beautifully, just about perfect. Several years later, I found a H&R Model 370 Ultra Medalist in 243 (FN commercial 98) which has a Fajen Aristrocrat stock that fits me just the same as the 54 Sporter. I did satisfy the Anschutz jones with a 1413 Match 54 target rifle with the International set trigger.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:51 AM
Supporting Member

I finally got to put a few rounds down the pipe of the new toy today. Hornady 17 grain Vmax did very well followed by CCI TNT's. CCI A-17's were not on it's diet. There were 3 shots fired on the bottom target, either I missed the target completely or I got a perfect stack with two shots. (Hornady 20 grain game points)

I mounted a Sightron SII 4.5-16 with a target dot reticle in Warne rings on it. I should of had Doug buy it for me so I would of gotten a killer piece of wood.

Forgot to mention, it's a 50 yard target..........

Last edited by long shot; 01-15-2019 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Banned

Default Ruger

Looks like you got a good crow sniper rifle going!!!! Now which rifle did you get?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Looks like you got a good crow sniper rifle going!!!! Now which rifle did you get?
It's the Anschutz 1517

Hopefully today I can stretch the yardage and see what those 17 Vmax will do.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default Anschutz

That guns shooting that good at 50, 100 should be well under an 1"! 3 shots groups at 100 are all you need. Then I'd like to see come dead crow pics👍I'd send some pics but this sight its dang near impossible for my dumb a$$ to do so😆 I think the 17HMR is the best crow cartridge ever made!