Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Default NOE has .172" bullet moulds and Gas Checks

gas checks -
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...av3s9tioidhl25

Bullet moulds:
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...k0sknjajfbr104

Bob Sterne (Coalmont B.C.) is noW testing the 26gr. HP on soap and has achieved quite spectacular results at under 1,100fps using pure lead bullets in a PCP air rifle of his build.
Cast in normal CF bullet alloys, eg: linotype or better yet, hardened WW, there is no reason this bullet could not be shoved out at 2,5000fps to over 3,000fps.

This test from the 26gr. HP, pure lead at 1,050fps 9" twist

Last edited by Daryl; 02-19-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 AM

I have cast for quite a few years. I won’t say that goal can’t be met. If it were me on that journey, I darn sure would not be using any kind of scrap,WW included. I would have a known alloy to work with for sure. Something that could be repeated with ease and not a by guess and by golly.

I will go out on a limb and say the type metals won’t be the holy grail. I have had more issues with type than I have softer alloys.
I was of the belief that hard was the best. That was shoved at me from all angles for years. I believed it because these guys cast and were my senior. They talked a big show, but it was odd I never saw any groups, just talk of them. Well after several years, a close friend and I succeeded in getting jacketed speeds with CB’s, the accuracy too. No, not BR accuracy but MOA was there more times than not out to 200. This was with 30’s and 35’s mostly with a few others. All gas checked and lubed, no powder coating. The alloys failed only because of no jacket to hold them together on edible game. Slowed them down some and all was well.

If the right alloy could be worked up in a 17 and put to speed, I think the effects would be pretty spectacular. A GC and a good PC and watching hardness I think is neat project. I would dread having to get and lead out of one of these little
Devils.
Jeff
Old 02-20-2019, 01:21 AM

Daryl

What is the rifle pictured ?
Old 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM

It's one of two rifles that Bob Sterne just completed. Originally in 6mm and .257, he picked up and threaded up a .172" for the 6mm and a .224" for the .257 gun.
in his words
"Last year I built two PCPs, a 6mm regulated and a .257 cal unregulated.... This year I have a .172 cal barrel for the 6mm and a .224 cal barrel for the .257.... They are both TJ's with a 14mm OD and a 9" twist, and I have the same 14mm ID x 20m OD Carbon Fibre Sleeves for them as I used on last years builds.... Here are the two rifles I am starting with.... The 6 mm is regulated at 2800 psi, with the 165 cc plenum made from 2024-T3 with a 0.095" wall, fed from a 500 cc 4500 psi Carbon Fibre bottle.... It is tuned for 125 FPE with bullets from 61-73 gr.... with a maximum of 136 FPE....
The .257 is unregulated with a MSWP of 4300 psi, but I plan to run it at 3800 psi, the same as I am currently in .257.... It has a 300 cc 2024-T3 reservoir with a 0.120" wall.... It is tuned for 165 FPE with 80-92 gr. bullets, and peaks at 201 FPE...."
"this is what the muzzles look like without the tuner.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM

Bob is the proverbial mad professor of PCP air guns. He makes some neat stuff and is ahead of the curve with air guns. A word of advise to all, don't go down that rabbit hole if you want to have a wallet full of cash. It's really hard to believe seeing how effective these PCP's are until you start shooting them.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM

I'll agree with that premise, moorepower. I have an Air Force Condor in .25 cal. It is truly an amazingly accurate air rifle, made in Texas and has a Lothar Walther barrel. Adjustable for power and capable of accurately shooting a 51gr. cast bullet, I make for it, from a 4-cavity NOE mould.

1/2" groups at 50yards are the norm with bullets or pellets. I hope to whack some gophers with it this summer, instead of using my .22 LRs. An air-gunner acquaintance in Calgary uses a .25 Condor for shooting field rats out to 125yards near where he lives. So far, he's just using 30 to 33gr. diabolo pellets. (die-ahh-bo-low - that's the waisted shape- not die-abb-low as many people seem to want to say)
The only thing I have shot with mime so far, are some large escaped domestic bunnies that dress out at 3 pounds each in freezer bags.