Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 PM

Default Scope problems

Need some help here. Rifle is a Kimber HS w/ semi-heavy barrel with Kimber bases and Leupold medium rings. Scope is a Weaver V24 and will be used at 50 yards.
At 50 yards I have run out of vertical adjustment (stopped-dead end) and still shoots 2" low. Didn't switch to low rings because it looks like objective bell will contact barrel. I think it's a defective scope, but.
What would be a solution o this other than returning scope? Shimming? If so, thickness and what non-compressible material and sources?
Like the ballistic X reticle and clarity at 24X.
Thoughts/advise?Vernon
Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 PM

Burris signature rings can allow up to 40 moa adjustment at 100 yards.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 PM

I would look at the rings and base very carefully, I am thinking you likely have some other problem than the scope. Swap the two rings and test, also could the base be a MOA base installed backwards?

Last edited by trotterlg; 05-17-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:37 PM

Thanx guys. I had a Weaver V16 on it at first with no problems and needed very little adjustments when first mounted.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 AM

I recently has the same problem, turned out to be a bent scope tube. I placed the scope on two V holders and rotated slowly. It was obvious as soon as I turned it what was the problem.

Pete
Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member

Brownells sells pre cut steel shims that are sized and drilled to fit under the base. I would think .003"-.004" should get you back in the center of adjustment.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:05 AM

Something else to try is loosen the ring caps. On some scopes if the rings are too tight, it will prevent the crosshairs from moving. The turret will move but not the crosshairs. Look through the scope at a target while moving the elevation turret to see if it is actually moving. If not, the rings could be the issue.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunde Sr View Post
Need some help here. Rifle is a Kimber HS w/ semi-heavy barrel with Kimber bases and Leupold medium rings. Scope is a Weaver V24 and will be used at 50 yards.
At 50 yards I have run out of vertical adjustment (stopped-dead end) and still shoots 2" low. Didn't switch to low rings because it looks like objective bell will contact barrel. I think it's a defective scope, but.
What would be a solution o this other than returning scope? Shimming? If so, thickness and what non-compressible material and sources?
Like the ballistic X reticle and clarity at 24X.
Thoughts/advise?Vernon
V.,

I believe that your Kimber and the Cooper 57M bases are the same. Take a look and see if they are, if so I am pretty sure I have an extra set of Warne bases and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings I can send for you to try.

I have used the Weaver V-24's on different rifles with no issues, I suppose it could be a bent tube if it is a used scope. There is surely something strange going on.

drover
Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM

I bought a used Weaver scope one time and the crosshairs were stuck. I would turn the knobs and they would not move. I turned the knobs in both directions several times and the crosshairs finally freed up.

Long shot in this case, but who knows.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
V.,

I believe that your Kimber and the Cooper 57M bases are the same. Take a look and see if they are, if so I am pretty sure I have an extra set of Warne bases and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings I can send for you to try.

I have used the Weaver V-24's on different rifles with no issues, I suppose it could be a bent tube if it is a used scope. There is surely something strange going on.

drover
J.,
I have a new pair of Leupold bases for Cooper 57M and the appear to be sane height as the mounted Kimber bases. It was a supposedly new scope. The seller graciously accepted a return of the scope and it's on its way back.
He has another V24 with the same reticle (again new?) that he will send.

So, I'll be back to square one. Hope that one will work.
And, thanx to all you guys for your help.
Vernon