Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-12-2021, 09:26 PM

Default Browning 17HMR ammo - Help please

I am looking for some "real-world" information on Browning 17 HMR, 17 gr polymer tip ammo. The box list the velocity as 2550 fps, Hornady 17 HMR 17 gr lists the same velocity on their box. My 17 HMR rifle groups Hornady 17 HMR 17 gr polymer tips exceptionally well. I suspect that the Browning may be the same ammo under a different label, but if not it really doesn't matter as long as it groups well.

Has anyone done a head to head match-up of these two ammos?

I have an opportunity to buy a few bricks of it at a very reasonable price but would really like some feed-back before making the purchase. I have until Thursday to make the decision so please share the good and bad experiences.

Thanks - drover
Old 01-12-2021, 10:05 PM

The Browning ammo is made by Winchester, but unlike everyone else, Winchester makes their own .17 HMR and .22 WMR ammo. Practically everyone else uses CCI to make their ammo for them.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I am sad to hear that given my experience with recent Winchester 22 LR ammo I am doubtful that this will be up to the accuracy of the Hornady, more than likely that is why it is being offered for less than the current going rate.

drover
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Supporting Member

No help with your original question but as a sidenote…

At one time I know Excell Arms preferred Winchester made 17 HMR... Saying it was more consistent and they could actually get it to shoot and there’s semi automatic pistol.

I have no experience yet but have bought some of the Winchester supreme ammo to try out.

I am not endorsing their claim, just passing it along.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:01 PM
Supporting Member

I have used a lot of Winchester 17HMR in bolt action rifles. It was consistently more accurate at 100 and 150 yards than Hornady, or Federal and Remington. I would suggest you buy a box of Browning and try it. Noting wrong with cheaper ammo.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:55 PM

That's interesting, Dean. My current Marlin prefers Winchester 20gr. HP ammo and gets 2,480fps with it, and 2,640fps with the 17gr. My Martini (2,350fps & 2,530fps)
is sensitive to headspace and finds the WW brand ammo to fluctuate the most. At 50 yards, the hard to close the action rounds (WW brand only) strike 1/2" to the left
of the easy closing ammo. This seems quite consistent.
This is easy to "dope out" at 100yards, but less so at longer ranges. This is OK because Hornady 17gr. Max (2,584fps) is the most accurate in that rifle(Martini).
Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 PM

I have never had any luck with the WW .17hmr. I ran several brands through my new Savage Precision chassis rifle, and as with both of my other Savages, it prefers the 17 grain Vmax. it does not care if it says if it says Hornady, CCI or Remington it all shoots well under 1", with several at or around 1/2" if memory serves. It did not care for the 17 tnt, which by the way is not made by Speer The 20 grain bullet shoots the worst of all in it. The WW was about the same as the 20 grain.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:34 PM

I purchased the Browning 17HMR ammo yesterday, the bullet looks identical to a V-Max except for a grey tip rather than a red tip . Luckily today was dead-calm, although a bit chilly, so I took the opportunity to do a head to head test at 50 yds and 100 yds between the Hornady 17 gr and the Browning 17 gr. They appear to be the same ammo, the drop, elevation, and grouping virtually mirrored each other, I am positive that I could alternate them and never be able to see the difference between the two.

The only thing that would make me happier would be that if the gophers were up - Oh well, it is only about 2 months away.

drover

Last edited by drover; 01-15-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:00 PM

Hornady makes all the bullets but the fmj. CCI and WW are the only two that actually load it. Honestly even a round that shoots 1.5" at 100 will kill 99% at hmr ranges.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:06 AM

We need slightly better than that as we use the .17HMR's to 200yards.
The first year, we tried to stretch that to 240 but got too many crawl-offs.
That said, every spring we sent to WoodJam range, I managed a couple gophers at 280 with the Martini. I couldn't 'touch' one with the Marlin - shots landing all around him. The Marlin works every shot at 200yards though. That was the first Marlin and the Martini, both liking the 17gr, Vmax Hornady the best. The TNT's and 20gr. did not shoot well in either.
This new Marlin gets develops extra speed and really likes the 20gr. HP Winchesters. I haven't tried them on field rats yet.
Has anyone?
Seems to me, that in the 17g.r Vmax bullets, the silver tips were in Federal Boxes, black for Winchester, red for Hornady and green for Remington.
I find Winchester brass has varying headspace. Seems to me, I noted that somewhere before.

Last edited by Daryl; 01-16-2021 at 12:08 AM.