Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Default .241 neck

If I had a consistent 0.25 gun, it would be worth turning necks to me. I have a 40X factory barrel with a .246 neck and turned 500 necks. Wouldn't be a bad thing during shelter in place conditions. If you have to order a neck turner, shipping and delivery times could impact getting one right away.

I have never turned necks down that much, so others might have comments about the limit of neck wall thickness. If the thickness would be OK, consider that the brass would last a long time and the barrel will shoot a few more thousand rounds.

Chuck
Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 AM

If you want a different chamber AND a shorter barrel, you could just set it back and rechamber it. It sounds like the contour is heavy enough to do this. If the weight is the main reason for a shorter barrel, then shortening it from the thick end would help more too.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

Default Tight No-Turn Neck

Steve, a common no-turn, tight neck could be .251, or .252. I’m not sure if .251 will have enough room for Lapua brass. It does clear WW fine. PT&G print 30248 or Rev B are both .251. The Rev B has shorter free-bore or clearance to rifling. I’m sure there are similar reamers for .252. I would not ream a chamber myself, but that’s just me. Flyrod had a good idea, I thought.

Good luck, Peter.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I think PT & G makes a fairly inexpensive tool just for that similar to the one for cutting the lead to custom specs, can't remember what it's called right now. Other tool makers probably have similar tools.
They are called "chucking reamers" and are available in .001" incremental sizes.
A reamer extension handle will be needed. I do not know if they come with pilots, or how many would be needed to go from .241" to .25?".