Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

For me, it's a toss up. Chrony to tell me how fast the bullets are going when I still can't hit "SQUAT" OR, a bore scope to tell me that my bug hole maker that produces one hole groups is junk.
Just more "stuff" to put on the shelf and collect dust.
Good thing we all don't think the same.
The "stuff" makers would go out of business.
And, what works for YOU is your choice.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:24 PM

I like to know what the FPS is on a given load, when I get a accurate one for any of my given calibers, mainly so I can make a cheat sheet, for dialing up the scope for hits at a ranged distance.
Other than that, I hardly use a chrony. And the magneto speed, basic model works just fine, for me. Just a thought to this conversation/post.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:25 PM

I used a chrony a lot when getting a new caliber and doing load development. Haven't used one much lately. I found it most helpful to tweak loads for best SD, to help tighten up my prep and loading practices.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Bought a Magneto Speed Chrony, never took it out of the box. Sold it to someone that wanted it more than I did.
As far as necking down, I've found that the "Pbike257 Wildcatter Shoulder Set Back Die" works like a dream
Tried different methods but this one turns out the best formed cases.
Don't want to mess with a good thing.
Also got the "Chop Saw" for shortening cases.
(had to rebuild/overhaul it to get it to work properly)
Just more stuff to collect dust.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 02-25-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:25 PM
Supporting Member

I am using basically the same stuff to make brass for my 22SJ from Lapua 223. The pbike form die set made a big difference for me. Are you using an extended shelholder to make the TCM brass? My little $35 chop saw is noisy but has been reliable so far. Discovered that a little squirt of KEL silicone on the blade once in awhile makes life a little easier. Will be interested to see what level of performance y'all are getting out of the TCM. Are you turning the necks? Seems like they would be pretty thick otherwise. The 22SJ is giving me 3250fps with 14.5 grs of Alliant 300MP and 40gr bullets. I think it is probably capable of an easy 3400 with the right combination. Would think the TCM would be capable of 3250 +/-. How much LG can you get in it with a bullet seated? Thanks, Joe
Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 PM
Supporting Member

How much LG can you get in it with a bullet seated???

The necks are un turned.
Necked a new 22 TCM case down to 20 with the "Wildcat Shoulder Set Back Die".
Stuffed a Berger 40 grain BT in the neck, seated to the shoulder/neck junction. Shipped it off to JGS and had them cut me a reamer to those dummy round specs. Reamer cut to ZERO freebore.
So far, only loaded 10 grains of AA2230 for starters.
There's a little more room in the case but I thought I'd start there and go up.
In no real hurry but do need some "real" range time.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 PM

Speaking of 22 tcm.. Found a bag of unopened and another bag with about 60 plus of those 45 grain half jacketed Amscor bullets in the bottom of one drawer in the loading room.
Are these good for a plinking bullet in some of my small 224 calibers ? Even in a pending 22PPC for plinking and maybe short range squeeks or rabbits ?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

Kinda sounds like the bulk Remington bullets I picked up. Their looks didn't instill much in the way of confidence but to my surprise, they grouped real well.
So, looks ARE deceiving.
Saw those bullets you mentioned in the 22 TCM and the first thought?
Pull those short fatties, neck that case down to 20, stuff a VLD bullet in it's place and you've got yourself a good looking round.
Maybe after all the hype, it might turn out to be a dud but it's the adventure of getting there.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
So, looks ARE deceiving.
A number of years ago I got several thousand pulled milsurp 55FMJ bullets. They were almost the price of scrap metal so I added them to an order. They looked terrible with deep pull marks and out-of-round above the cannelure. But surprisingly they shot great. We called them banana bullets. They're all shot now, but I wish I'd kept a few or taken a picture.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Speaking of 22 tcm.. Found a bag of unopened and another bag with about 60 plus of those 45 grain half jacketed Amscor bullets in the bottom of one drawer in the loading room.
Are these good for a plinking bullet in some of my small 224 calibers? Even in a pending 22PPC for plinking and maybe short range squeeks or rabbits ?
I bought a supply of 3k of the OEM Armscor bullets some time ago when available and cheap. ($6/100) I haven't had to reload any TCM yet as I still have about 900 rnds left of OEM ammo with these same Armscor bullets and sadly haven't been out with it much the last 2 years.

However, as noted above, I have found reasonable accuracy with them in OEM form with very destructive results. Speed and twist likely contribute to this and I have shot very large Jacks, PD's as well as Cots and GS's with excellent results. I haven't had the opportunity with anything larger but wouldn't hesitate with fox, badger and even coyote especially at closer ranges of 150 yds or less...which may explain why I haven't had an opportunity yet.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO