Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Default Rem 700 body guns in small calibers - which is the best?

So I've had a Rem 700 BDL in 222 that has been an amazing shooter for me.

I'm predator hunting with it now, with a special dual extension rail that only fits Rem 700 body guns. IF I were to want to change out to something that is more fur friendly, and maybe even more quiet since the areas where I hunt continue to get more built up all the time - what would be my best way to go?

17 Remington
17 Remington Fireball
221 Rem Fireball (did these come in standard Rem 700?)
Others?

Effective range, efficiency, noise, inherent accuracy, good brass availability, bullet availability - these are all obviously going to be important factors for me if I do decide to make a change.

I know there is a TON of experience on this site, so I'll be anxious to see what everyone's recommendations might be here. Thanks very much.

Stephen
Old 11-14-2020, 07:22 PM

I'd just load your 222 with a 40 grain plastic tip bullet that your rifle is fond of and switch to a light(10-12 load) of 2400 or 4227 which should drop the velocities into the 22 Hornet range. If you want to go slower and quieter, Blue Dot might also be an option to explore.

If you are inclined to buy a new rifle, I'd look for a M700 in 17 Remington and down load it until you achieve your acoustic goal. 16 gr. of 4227 pushing a 20 grain v-max delivers 3500 fps in my rifle with excellent accuracy and minimal barrel heating. Suffice it to say it's much quieter than my full house 4320 loads pushing 25 grain bullets.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:24 PM

I have killed coyotes with every cartridge you mentioned. It just depends on distance, if you call them in or not and where you place that bullet. Everyone of them will do the job. Just remember the larger the cartridge and caliber, it may do a better job for you. Bill K
Old 11-14-2020, 08:11 PM

That 16gr / 20 v-max load sounds about ideal.

Many of my shots end up being under 100 yards, but I would like to be able to cover it well out to 200 or even 250. (Coyotes hang up on me a lot more than fox. Fox usually come right in like they're on a string, and heck I can get those things running into my lap almost at times if I don't do something to stop them.)

The 222 is shooting 40 v-max's right now at 3,300fps. Works pretty well on coyotes but too much blow-up on fox. Probably need to look at an old style SP type of bullet.

I played around with my CZ 527 American in 22 hornet but could never really find a load slow enough for fox. Some would be perfect, others a complete wreck. So I just went back to shooting a stiff load of Lil'Gun with Sierra 40 hp's, which was my most accurate load ever, and only took head shots. But this is why i was thinking about something more in 17cal, where I little 17hmr is OK for short range foxes too but is in no way enough punch for coyotes IMO.

If I had a rail that would extend back for the 22 hornet like this one I have now for a Rem 700, I'd still be using the hornet as it is a nice light carry gun and I won't be affording another thermal for scanning only any time soon, so the gun has to act as both my scanner and to shoot then.

So I know it sounds kind of crazy that a rail is driving what I shoot, but it really is that way with this particular scope. And my 222 is having some reliability issues now - so I'm wondering what other Rem 700 I should go on the hunt for.

I had heard the 17 Rem Fireballs were very efficient and quiet too, but I went along and watched a buddy of mine buy an old 17 Rem a few years back and I didn't think that thing was very loud either considering the punch it has. I like the idea of being able to load down for fur season, then load it back up again... have a different load for crows and ground-hogs way out there in summer time.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:43 PM

If you are shooting for fur, then the 17 rem worked as you mention would be fine.
I don't shoot or save fur, so what damage caused does not matter, too me, I just want them dead and on the ground.
In the 17's I shoot, 17 hmr, 17 hornet, 17 fireball, 17 rem is only shoot the Hornady 15.5 NTX, as I am required by this commie states law, to shoot only lead free on game and non-game animals. Bill K
Old 11-15-2020, 05:04 AM

I think Remington made some 700s in 221 Fireball a while back in their classic series. That was when they would produce a limited run each year of a "classic" caliber. I do like the 221 Fireball, kind of like a 223 short.
Bill
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 AM

My buddy says my 17fb is the loudest gun I own. I am shooting a 222 for nite hunting as it isn't all that loud but I am using a can on it. I didn't have a can on the 17 fb.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
I think Remington made some 700s in 221 Fireball a while back in their classic series. That was when they would produce a limited run each year of a "classic" caliber. I do like the 221 Fireball, kind of like a 223 short.
Bill
They also made it in a couple of other variations after introducing 221 FB rifles in the Classic Series in 2002.

One was a laminated stock blue rifle and they also produced 221 FB rifles in the LVSF model (stainless fluted barrel synthetic stock). I still own one of them along with a 17 Remington in the LVSF model. These are the rifles that had the gummy Limbsaver recoil pads. Remington replaced both stocks on mine with new stocks using a different recoil pad.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

I'm a sucker for the .17 Rem but dont think I'd sway from that 222. Lots and lots of fur friendly high quality bullets to choose from, benchrest accuracy and economical to load for. Pretty sure you posted this just to make me want a 222 even more.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:38 PM

I wouldn't try to talk anybody out of owning a 222. Easiest gun to load for, ever! They can be unreal accurate with all sorts of combinations of components. I do think that Rem 700 lightweight varminter in 221 or 17 fireball sounds pretty good though... where the bdl can get a little heavy when having to scan all the time. A second thermal for scanning, or maybe some type of tripod setup would eliminate weight being as much of an issue I guess.

I think the 222 is LOUD by comparison to my 22 hornet at night time.

Is a 221 as loud as the 222 or 223/AR?
Is the 17 Fireball as loud as a 222/223? I thought these things would be quieter.

Is there any appreciable difference in noise between a 17 Rem and a 17 Fireball, for those of you who have both?

I liked that earlier idea of maybe loading down a 17 Rem to 3500 or below.