Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-05-2018, 12:24 AM

Another option on the bullet mould front is NOE moulds out of Utah. They currently have a group buy running for a 223-38-RN mould. Its a heeled bullet designed for reloading 22 rimfires. They make moulds in 2-3-4 and 5 cavities out of brass and aluminum. There quality moulds.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the NOE Group Buy info. I may get in on that, IF it's still open when I have the money.

I annealed one case this weekend and ran it through the swage process. That case formed much easier and the process went much faster. I had the case necked down in about 10 mins, but I still need to machine off the excess brass in the webbing area and the rim. I'm still trying to streamline that process.

I'll post more updates as I make progress.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

In 1937 Colonel Charles Askins went down a similar road: 221 Askins

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=1034

Modified 5.5mm Velo Dog cases and fired from a Colt Woodsman pistol modified by gunsmith Frank Pachmayr.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM

I found out about the 221 Askins in my research. He was ahead of his time. I wish the velo dog was still around, that case would make for a much easier conversion.

I have a lead on the bolt conversion, I just have to make time to talk to the fabricator and find out the cost.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:38 PM

fiocchi does a run of 5.7 velo dog periodically. just got to be on your toes when they do.

Here's the Item # WX2-15222

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-02-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 AM

Well based on how the bolt looks from a photo, the EASIEST option seems to be to take the bolt apart,

put the front, winged section into a drill press and find someone with bushinged drill bits, and get a hole drilled down the center.

Then find a ruger made firing pin for a center fire and slap it in. WILL require a bit of filing on your part, but a lot cheaper then you think. and as there isn't much to watch on tv you wont loose much time really.

The fun part is going to be the feed
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM

I was thinking center drilling the breech block as well, but the old firing pin channel will still interfere with the process. I think the old channel needs to be filled before a new one is drilled.

There are also other mods that need to be made to the system if I consider a center channel. First the pin that holds the breech block to the rest of the assembly would have to be shortened, as it goes all the way through the center\back of the breech block. Firing pin assembly would have to be modified a little more than you think. The Hornet firing pin channel is slanted, I think. With that in mind, the "hook" on the striker would have to be ground off and a "return" spring would have to be fitted into the firing pin channel to keep the firing pin from bouncing around.

An AR15 firing pin is almost the same length as the current firing pin, after grinding off the top of the "top hat" leaving a flat round striking surface. Then a spacer would need to be added to take up the slop and add a positive stop and also limiting the firing pin striking depth.

I have thought about this a lot and the slanted channel would mean less modification to whole system, but might be a setup nightmare from the machining standpoint.

As for feeding it from the magazine: The external specs of the centerfire case will be exactly the same as a standard 22lr rimfire case. I have found a source for heeled bullets and another source for heeled bullet molds. Both are specifically for black powder 22lr cowboy loads. Feeding will not be an issue.

I think I found somebody to modify the breech block, I just have to make time to discuss it with them and check the feasibility and cost of both modifications.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 AM

the real issue I believe is the final intent, full power loads or softer easier on the ears subsonic stuff.

I have been doodling a very long time with making a genuine center fire version of 22lr/22magnum. Most originally told me to simply make a 25acp rifle. or at least get the cheapest possible .223 or 22 hornet and chop it down till the chamber profile would fit with a 25acp hit with a hornet/223 sizer.

But in the long run, with the cases being so time consuming to make, how are you going to deal with ejecting fired rounds?

At the local dunhams today, a box of 50 25acp was costing about as much as a 50 count box of eley subsonic hollowpoints, about 11.00$.

I DONT believe the existing firing pin crap will cause as much issue as you think. Consider the case itself. a lot more brass in the 25acp, and I don't think your internal pressure is going to be anywhere close to being enough to deform the case head into the RF firing pin hole.

If the pressure got high enough, I think the whole gun would disintegrate.

Havent seen a diagram of the guns actual bolt assembly, but I think my idea is the cheapest and easiest. It workd for the Chassepotte and even the Mosin Nagant, I think it has safety...
Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM

I wasn't thinking about case pressure and firing pin hole case deformation. I was thinking about the machining process. The 2 channels would overlap. Maybe I'm overthinking the process, but wouldn't it be easier to drill through solid metal vs drilling a hole overlapping an existing hole?

With that in mind, maybe just having someone fabricate a new breech block would be easier than modifying the existing one.