Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 AM
Supporting Member

Default More 5mm C.F. Questions

I now have all the Schroeder gear ( thanks buddy) been looking at the 30 grn Berger seems a good length but the concern is with case mouths being so thin will a flat base bullet perhaps crush the case mouth.

I can't find any bullet with the boat tail style base that isnt to long, appreciate any suggestions

Johno
Old 05-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default Remington

Just shoot the V-max. Or try the Barnes varmint! Thad what my buddy used.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:58 PM

With your 592 you have a little more COL than those that are shooting the 591 through a magazine. There is a length that just allows you to hold the 30-32 grain bullets before the taper gets you. Everything about the 5MM is about very small adjustments but you will get there. Remember that small adjustments to the powder will have sometimes vast increases in velocity and pressure. Nosler 32 grain bullets have a boattail, Sierra 39 grain do to. The Hornady 24 grain bullets have a boattail.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Banned

Default Remington

Use it like s dingle shot! Who cares! That's what I did!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Supporting Member

I load mine with anything and everything including homemade fb cast lead bullets without any issues (IIRC).

I’ll verify this later but there was nothing out of the normal loading this as there is loading anything else I load for.

1. RCBS has a POS SH. That said my 5mm wasn’t that bad where I needed to have one made up but the 17 & 22 CCM SHs cost me some cases until I had one made up at Hornady. FYI you don’t want to go there now a days, Ben said $80 for a SH (a couple weeks ago).

2. The 22 caliber Hornady seater will save you some head aches. I think that I used my hornet seater on my 5mms but again would need to verify that. What it does for you is allows a guy to set a bullet and allow the alignment sleeve to square things up and do it’s job (on my single stage press). I have also got into the practice spinning the case (inside the SH with bullet held in place by the alignment sleeve a little bit with my finger and thumb as I raise the ram.
edit- it wasn’t a 22 caliber seater. It was a custom 20 caliber seater made especially for my 17 & 20 Killer Bee.

3. Ensure you have a nice chamfer and also debur the case mouth. Sounds obvious but those little things all add up. I also inside debur the flash-hole but that’s not a critical step.

There’s no need to shoot this single-shot unless the OL of your choice of bullet or choice of using pointed bullets in a 592 (unfortunately I have never been that lucky to have that pointed tip problem).

Lastly just take your time and enjoy the time you are loading. It’s a ton of fun but that’s not saying I didn’t have moments of distraction at times). You be fine... I see your biggest challenge is finding FN bullets... a nice FP bullet mold would be awesome. If you decide to do one and want to do a group buy with Lee; then count me in!

Last edited by GLWenzl; 05-02-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Mike Craig and I both tested the 592 with every pointed bullet we could find loaded in the M592. Mike even dropped one repeatedly from a three story landing onto a concrete patio. We never could get any short of indentation on the primers in the tube. Mike destroyed a stock doing this little test. I have shot my M592 since 1993 with any .20 bullet I could find. It has been a lot easier to find bullets since the .204 Ruger came out. We settled on using the Berger 30 and 35 grain bullets. I don't think the 30 grain bullets are available anymore.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Supporting Member

Many thanks for the input fellas, i'm saving it so I can go back over it. My dies are CH4D.

I have one of the later RCBS case trimmers and contacted them re a shell holder plate, they were good enough to check various plates and found the#12 hornet was closest but he wasn't happy referred to another company that makes the same shell holder style for the 5x28 I think it was so when I get back home I will order one.

Lowell, your input has been greatly appreciated ive got some rim fire ammo here and hope have some time on the rabbits this weekend.

The gentleman I bought the dies from has been terrific with his help also, I have always been reluctant to name people who have sold stuff to me I think its just courteous if he wants his name out there he will put up his hand

Fun days ahead
Johno
Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 PM

Nosler has a 20cal boat tail that is 32gr. Use them in my 20 Swift.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:17 AM

I used the nosler varmegedon bullets in mine. Mine is mag fed and this is the shortest bullet I could find and mine shoots it well

By the way does anyone have a lead on some brass. I only have about 30 pieces. I would like to get some more. I called Schroeder several months ago but he was recouping from a surgery. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

I spoke with Steve last weekend when I was in Colorado. And you are correct, he is recovering and might start getting back into the shop a few hours a day.

Guy’s, without going into any medical details I’ll be blunt with you. We are very very fortunate Steve is even with us today, he was within a few hours of breathing his last breath.

That said please don’t bug him or push him, I know we are all respectful but just wanted to remind you.... if you need anything from Steve, be best to get an order in and pray for Steve’s health.

He is the only game in town for CCM, 5mm mag and all kinds of other oddball brass, bullets (and other things) that I'm aware of. And I will be forever grateful for all the 17 CCM, 22 CCM and 5mm brass he has made for me over the years...

Steve also has some other very interesting projects going on that he’d like to complete (not gun related).