Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Re-Contour Barrel?

I have found a good bbl that will need to be turned down to make a nice fit on an action and stock I have. Is it reasonable to consider doing this and will it harm the quality of the bbl? Any ideas as to who could turn it down and what would it cost?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Supporting Member

Default Re- Contour

Spencer's Custom Guns
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM

If it is already threaded to fit your action any machinist with a lathe can turn it to any contour you specify. Threading & headspacing should be by a competent & experienced gunsmith. Some say a bbl should be stressed relieved after re-contouring. Others say it doesn't matter. It's a lot cheaper to rout the stock's barrel channel to fit, if that is a viable option. Without more specific info on the barrel as it is now & what you want to do I could only guess at the cost. Installing & finishing barrels already contoured runs $150 to $200 in my area.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM

The bbl is a Pac-Nor blank, but to fit the action I want to install it on, the diameter at the butt needs to be reduced from the 1.2" as it presently is to 1.00"........it is 28" long and needs to end up at around 24" with a muzzle diameter of about .725 or so....it basically is a "sendero" taper. Still want a moderately heavy bbl, but not a monster.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Had recontouring discussion a few years ago with Jack Sutton of Hart barrels. Hart barrels are button rifled. He indicated that recontouring will result in the bore diameter increasing slightly and not uniformly. Can adversely affect accuracy. They will recontour their own barrels for a customer, but it is not recommended if top accuracy is your objective. Why not consult with the barrel maker(Pac-Nor)?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM

If the barrel is a blank, Pac Nor will re-contour chamber and fit to your action. I just talked to Penny about doing the very project for me. She said they would only do this on their own barrels. If it is already been fit to some other rifle, you would need to talk to her. They do not accept gunsmithing projects, but turn those over to their very competent GS.
Bill
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks to all for your thoughts.....are the bbls contoured before or after rifling...and do they do anything to them after contouring/rifling, like hardening or heat treating or whatever? Evidently some think that re-contouring is not advisable and some don't see a problem with it....???
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Supporting Member

Steve,
When I order barrels for my CZ, I am not concerned about the diameter
of the chamber end. Just start cutting one inch diameter down the barrel
untill you run out of metal. About a 10 minute job by your smith.
Pac-Nor's sendero is about .950 @ 5" so you will only be cutting 2 or three inches since you are cutting the length down to 24".
If you can live with the .815 or so at the muzzle.
As far as the bore getting larger by contouring a barrel.
I think you will find all contouring by Mfg is done after the barrel is rifled.
If you are going to have a barrel fully contoured, have it done by a pro.
It can be time consuming for someone not set up for it. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.

Last edited by sicero; 01-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM

May find the following article of interest. http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20...anufacture.htm
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster's View Post
Thanks to all for your thoughts.....are the bbls contoured before or after rifling...and do they do anything to them after contouring/rifling, like hardening or heat treating or whatever? Evidently some think that re-contouring is not advisable and some don't see a problem with it....???
Not sure at what step in the process it is done, but I think all barrels are stress relieved, which is heating them to a certain temperature & then letting them slowly cool. Just my opinion but, I wouldn't re-contour an ENTIRE barrel as I think you get better results using a barrel made with the desired contour to start with. Turning the shank portion of the barrel blank to fit the action is a normal step in installing one & will cause no ill effects. All barrel blanks come with larger than needed shanks so they can be fitted to any action diameter. Sounds like you just need a normal barrel installation job, which is threading/fitting to action, chambering, & cutting to desired length. Any good smith can do it.