Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Chargemaster 1500

Members, I ran across an idea that after talking to ray h, he suggested I post this. I've been using a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for a few years now. It does okay for most of my stuff, but on some stick powders...not so good. I use H-4198 a lot for my 20 VT and 20 JI. It's always been a pain with throwing a lot of overweight charges with this unit. After reading about people using a shorten straw out of the dispenser tube to help with the problem, I saw a video of a guy using a 6BR case. I decided to measure the O.D. of the dispenser tube and try to find something better. I had a couple of fired 17 PPC cases laying around. I cut one of them about in the middle ...chamfered it inside and out. Worked nicely on the tube. I put a drop of crazy glue on the case to the tube...just to keep it in place. It worked amazingly well for the H-4198 powder. I powdered over (500) 20 JI cases recently with only three overweight charges. I'm guessing (SWAG) that the steeper shoulder of the cut-off 17 PPC case allows the powder to uniformly stack behind the shoulder and then dispense through the 17 caliber hole evenly. To start I checked weights every five charges, then ten charges, and finally a tray of fifty (with a different known accurate scale). I couldn't tell a 10/th of a gr difference. There is know doubt this method dispenses slower, but I didn't have to stop and constantly go back and and redo overweight charge throws. There is no guarantee this will work! It's just an idea. "If" someone decides to try this, I'd like to hear back if they had good (or bad) results. 410gauge

Last edited by 410gauge; 11-13-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:44 PM

I never thought of doing that, tried the straw thing, but then found a site that sold and brass turned tube to use, like the straw method. Bought those and put into my Hornady brand powder dispenser and it works just great, like yours is doing now with your adaptor. So I guess what ever helps them dispense more accurately, go with it. Bill K
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM

Great idea I might have to try that if I can find some of that brass. I use the straw method and it works really good for me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 PM

That is interesting. Any one got a link to the straw thing you refer too ?
Don't know why I ask as I don't have an electronic scale. I see more complaints about any of these than I do folks raving on them.
Buddy got some kind of custom built scale for his cheytac and lapua rifles. It's pretty high tech, I think he gave over 1k for it.
I just plug along with my old B&M, set tube a tenth of two under and trickle the rest.
Jeff
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 PM

Can't seem to post the video. But if you google Chargemaster inserts a video comes up, along with one source of the brass inserts. chargemaster.insert@gmail.com. Bill K
Old 11-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Here’s a you tube video on it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuGfuCR9RJo
Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
Here’s a you tube video on it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VuGfuCR9RJo
That's the one, Thanks Rocklong. Bill K
Old 11-14-2017, 11:58 AM

I am still using the same cut off Mcdonalds straw I stuck in there in February 2009. It really helped with the SR-4759 I was using back then.

v/r rch