Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Remington!

FoxBusiness.com are asking ‘Is Remington going bankrupt?’
Think this came from Accurateshooter.com.
Ken.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
FoxBusiness.com are asking ‘Is Remington going bankrupt?’
Think this came from Accurateshooter.com.
Ken.
Read the short article/notice on Accurate Shooter also Ken. It sounds like Remington is in trouble with money capitol, etc. and could be going bankrupt.
Time will tell I guess. Sad after all those years of being a fine, major USA business. Bill K
Old 12-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Remington

If they do file, I hope they can re organize and come back as a gun manufacturer. I am a Rem 700 fan and also like a he 1100 and 870.

Last edited by df06; 12-10-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Remington

Does not the same holding company own Dakota?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:51 PM

not to be the negative nancy of the bunch but I hope they belly up or it opens their eyes. seems like too many major corporations in the US made a great name for themselves making quality products then now that the brand is established they cut back on quality and let the name make profits for them. with savage, tikka, howa and now bergara in the game they need to get their shit together if they want to survive.

I know I personally won't buy any post freedom group products from them. don't get me wrong i'd love to buy american but truth be told i'm not sure how "american" the brand is anymore and lets face it they have some serious competition.

It's a sad thing what is happening in america. seems like the days of pride in workmanship and attention to detail are gone....end rant
Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Arner View Post
Does not the same holding company own Dakota?
Yes... and Remington moved the Custom Shop out of Illion NY, to Dakota, inn South Dakota.

It would not surprise me if Remington left Illion NY, because of the very high state taxes and the gun hostel attitudes of the NY government.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...
Old 12-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Interesting thoughts.
We see a manufacturer offer a cut to the bone, bare basic rifle, kind of like a BIC lighter, toss it when it is done.
Then we see everyone jump on the wagon. It's all about how cheap and easy they are to build.
Selling to the masses is the target. Folks who are happy with hitting the pie plate at 100. Then maybe blasting with it off and on over the next few years. All the while happy with it for the most part.

Then the rifle loonies(like us here) deem them a turd and we proceed to holler, onto deaf ears no less.

Serious shooters are the minority. Sure we all know some guy that dropped several K on a rifle, he just looks better missing than he did before.

I have seen ALL of them do it, SW, TC,Savage, Remington, Weatherby, etc.
look back 20-30 years at cars, all small,cheap and good mileage, but the were no good in the long run. Now we are back to big cars.

It is about not what the market demands, but what it will put up with. If they can sell an item for 40% more than they have in it and less hands on, it's a win win for them. Build a rifle, machine does all the operations but put the screws through the stock into the action and put it in a box with a few pieces of tape. They are ahead, by having less "humans" handeling it(liability).

Bad what ever item, it's easier and cheaper to throw it in the trash and just the consumer another one and hope for the best.

We as a consumer are some what at fault for letting this get this way, because we agreed to it to a point.

Yet on on another side I quit trying to understand with big business. They can declare chapter what ever, take money out of the left pocket and put in the right, then all things are great.
Some declare bankruptcy and come back stronger than ever........go figure.
Jeff
Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 PM

Also, don't forget that Remington was bought out by investment bankers (CD&R) back in '93 or '94, and after a couple more buy outs, moved most production to Alabama and then opened up a plant in TN to make pistols. The NY politicians and the cost of labor in NY is what started all the slide down.

Last edited by TinMan; 12-11-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
If they do file, I hope they can re organize and come back as a gun manufacturer. I am a Rem 700 fan and also like a he 1100 and 870.

I have to agree. But they are into handguns as well? - Tough market to compete in.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 AM

I gave up on brand loyalty years ago

Its like insurance companies, if they rise their rate you just $hit'em out!

Don't get me wrong, there are still good companies out there but if you want anything beyond run of the mill you need to build custom. I think the Remington brand is to large to not be bought by someone. Maybe someone who cares?

CZ puts out a great product, maybe Remington should take note.