Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 11-07-2021, 01:54 PM

From my findings and others as well the ammo is the major issue.
I see a lot of fantastic groups from the rimx, I just don’t see a excellent action fixing a crappy ammo problem, especially rimfire.

I am a 17WSM fan, there is room for improvement for sure.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:29 PM

Mine shoots around an inch, but still seems not to miss much at the ranges I shoot, out to 300yds. It's just irritating that they went away from what has worked for so many years! I was still hoping that CZ would have made a bolt for the 527 and possibly the new Tikka rimfire .
Old 11-07-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
From my findings and others as well the ammo is the major issue.
I see a lot of fantastic groups from the rimx, I just don’t see a excellent action fixing a crappy ammo problem, especially rimfire.

I am a 17WSM fan, there is room for improvement for sure.
That is true, like all non match grade rimfire ammo the 17 WSM ammo quality is what I'd call mediocre but as has been pointed many times the 17 WSM is a "hunting" cartridge so keeping with that thought I'd say the ammo is acceptable but certainly not great.

In all fairness, I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of 22LR, HMR and 22mag ammo over the years and it is no better. I've chronographed 17HMR ammo that had nearly a 200FPS ES within the same box of 50.

I've massaged over my HB SS Bmag a fair amount and though it'll never win any technical design awards I certainly can't complain with how it shoots. The TS Custom 17WSM builds certainly aren't cheap but if I was starting all over and didn't already have my Bmag sorted out I would probably seriously consider one of their 17 WSM builds
Old 11-10-2021, 03:24 PM

I came really, really close to buying an 1885 in .17 WSM. It's really hard to understand how much more effective the .17 WSM is until you see it for yourself. The reduction in drift and drop, really stand out when put side by side with a .17HMR. The .20 Vmax has a BC of .200 compared to the low .1's of the HMR. I often get hung up on the tiny groups, but have never really seen the difference in a dogtown when the wind is blowing over 5mph.