Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-20-2022, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default Scales

Has anyone found a digital powder scale which is better or worse than others in terms of accuracy and reliability?
Old 06-21-2022, 12:15 AM

I have a feeling that they come out of the same factory with different cases. I have a Hornady and it gives me the correct weight down to the .1 grain on the test weights every time and I can weigh the same charge multiple times and get the same weight. Someday I would like a really "good" scale, but I am not sure that I could tell how much better it was on the targets.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:22 AM

I have three different dig. scales. An older Dillon D-Terminator, the dig. scale that's with my RCBS Chargemaster, and a FX-120i. The FX-120i cost more than my other two combined and is a much higher quality scale so it's not fair to compare the other two to it but where I notice the biggest difference in all of them is when weighing flake powder. The FX120 is far more sensitive and will register changes with a very slight amount of powder added where as the Dillon and RCBS CM you can add quite a bit of flake powder before it registers and then sometimes by the time it does change I'm over what I want.

For the most part it's not that big of a deal because most of my centerfire rifles I don't use powder that kind of powder but my 17 Hornets are the exception and since that little case is pretty small it's nice to have the ability to be more precise when loading for those.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:27 AM

I have a couple old Chargemaster Combos that are pretty consistent. I check them against my 10/10 beam scale from time to time. They suit me fine. I wipe them down with dryer sheets before every session or they are all over the place.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:22 PM

JD when you say wipe them down, completely or just the pan ? as mine has aged I noticed some oddities but after a few minutes it settles and works normally
Old 06-23-2022, 01:51 PM

Inside the hopper, outside, everything but the bottom gets wiped and when done loading I empty the powder and put the wipe in the hopper. I talked to RCBS right after I got my first one and they suggested that to me. Also low temperature can affect accuracy.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-23-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:06 PM

Wiping the inner and outer tube and the pan, with dryer wipes not only aids in the powders falling/sliding better, but stops or aids in eliminating the static on the scale parts.
This is a well know thing to do, if you have been into reloading for any length of time.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
I noticed some oddities but after a few minutes it settles and works normally
Do you leave it turned on all the time or give it any amount of time to warm up before you start using it?

I have my dig scales plugged in to a surge protector and never turn them off. If for some reason they do get turned off, if the power goes out or something like that, they take 10-20 minutes to warm up before they settle down.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:08 PM

If I will be using it I turn it on and go about my business for a while. Then when I am ready to start weighing powder will calibrate it.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM

Leave it on, IMO. Also, get some good calibration weights and check it often. Also, in heating season or air conditioning, any drafts affect the readings. Use a draft shield, like a clear plastic or glass one. Any really good microgram balances come with a draft shield. Old mechanical microbalances have glass doors to raise or open to put samples in for weighing, and you weigh the sample with the doors shut.