Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-29-2022, 02:56 PM

Double D: You will find John Whidden has very fine products and if you have any issues, which are few, he is the man to talk too and work with.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:10 PM

I've had Ben at Hornady handle making some for me and they worked just fine as well as Dave at CH4D.
Also with Redding, but they are pretty spendy for just a set or two and all of them take a long time.

I have also gone with the JGS sizer reamer route and made my own, but I am guessing you don't have a lathe to do that. But you also mentioned just having another shop make them for you. If you go that route, here's a couple of tips.

Make the dies from 12L14 steel and have the sizer carborized for hardness. If you don't get the sizer hardened, it will scratch the crap out of your brass. You only need the sizer reamer to make the sizing die. The seater will be made from your chamber reamer and does not need to be hardened. Once you have the chamber reamer and sizer reamer, there really isn't much to making the dies. Any decent machinist can do it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Edited to add: You don't want to jerk around making the decap rod, expander, seating stem, lock rings, etc for your dies. So pull a sample from some other dies that you have (that you can easily buy) and give those samples to your machinist so he can make the dies to work with those store bought guts. When we made dies for the 375 SOCOM, we made them to take Lyman 375 H&H decap rod assemblies since we could by them in quantity straight off Lyman's website.

Last edited by TonyRumore; 06-29-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:17 PM

I'd have who ever did your barrel chamber make the dies for your gun a gun smith will do it .
Old 07-09-2022, 01:51 PM

glad this post was brought up again I had completely forgotten about it ( age related no doubt) well how did the die work ???
Old 07-11-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinNC View Post
I'd have who ever did your barrel chamber make the dies for your gun a gun smith will do it .
He probably did, back in 50's. But this gun has passed through a number of hands since then and dies did not come with.

Haven't had an opportunity to do anything with the dies yet. Chaos reigned as we gathered all our family-kids from MN, MD and IL for 4th of July week.

And, I have no desire to go to the Gun club in 100+ degree weather in OK. Loads would be off because temperature for one thing. And this old man just does not enjoy the heat.

But we still have one daughter still here and I am ready to go out in the shop and hide--shop is air conditioned. No little bullets to load. (This is the sad part of leaving Montana) I need to develop loads for 450/400 3", .303 (pre) British and 7 x 57 Mauser. I need to reload the .308 Norma Mag. and since the Daughter isn't going home for another week, I might as well load up some of these .404 Barnes Express using this new Whidden die set.

I will say this about this set of Whidden dies, they make a beautiful set of tools.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

John does make good dies !! But I'm not sure how much fun it will be working up a good hunting load in that butt kicker. I've been putting off working up a load for my 250-3000.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:13 PM

I have several custom CH4D die sets that work perfectly. I'd use 'em again in a heartbeat.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:04 PM

I have a bunch of CH4D dies and have no complaints. But this cartridge they could not accommodate.

Yes this gun does have a bit of recoil. Respectable for sure, but manageable, even shot from a bench.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:08 PM
Supporting Member

Doug have you tried reduced loads with cast bullets, that might be a fun gun.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Doug have you tried reduced loads with cast bullets, that might be a fun gun.
Actually, I have considered this, but never got around to it, got side tracked by Martini's.

I may be slowly reducing my addiction to Martini's, haven't bought a new one in two years, but I have bought three Ruger No. 1's, but nothing on topic here.