Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Looks like you are having some great hunts!

What amazes me is the degree of accuracy you are getting out of an AR! I thought semi's weren't suppose to shoot that good! Congrats bud!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

What amazes me is the degree of accuracy you are getting out of an AR! I thought semi's weren't suppose to shoot that good! Congrats bud!
There is a world of difference between the AR-15 service rifle, many know or knew, and the one's some of us are shooting now days and building up and enjoying. Bill K
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 PM

Default AR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

I have owned about 10 AR's over the years. Several of those were .50 shooters with handloads. Never did find a great shooting AR10 though (308 and 243) .

Current lineup of AR's and group size.

Rock River Coyote Rifle. .50" shooter with several handloads.

Custom 22 Nosler as noted above, .30" with the only load I ever worked up (53 Vmax and H4895). Shot so well did not look further and I wanted to shoot that bullet. One box of Nosler factory ammo with 55 ballistic tips went into about an inch.

Custom 6.5 Grendel with a 24" Varmint Fluted Krieger, Alexander Arms custom side charger upper, Timney and Kaw Valley Linear Compensator shoots very well with a few loads. .25"-.50".

Last edited by Stormbringer; 04-16-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:23 PM

I'm jealous, can't wait until I can get some shooting. 2 months until our chucks are out and the pups are old enough to support themselves. I don't shoot until then. Rock chuck shooting is on my bucket list.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Was out again 4 hours over the weekend

We shot another 25 Sunday morning. My son used to shoot with me when a teenager has caught the bug to shoot lately (he is 24) and built himself a 223 AR15 and 308 AR10. He did pretty good with the 308.

I was shooting a custom 6.5 Grendel and was field testing a new optic on the rifle (Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 side focus with the long range MOA reticle). The rifle and scope performed well. Given the use of the rifle will be a mixture of small and big game hunting, target shooting and varmint hunting I wanted an optic to lighten it a little and have a good lower end power range.

Since our last visit to this property about a month ago someone has installed two steel plates at the base of the rock canyon and another much further up the canyon. As we were leaving my son took 10 shots at the upper gong at 325 yards. I could see where guys who don't shoot critters much could enjoy that sound of ringing steel! It was surprising how long it took to get the sound of steel back after you saw the hit at such a short distance.

Mike

Last edited by Stormbringer; 05-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Mike shows up and the chucks are in big trouble.