Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 07-14-2019, 11:55 AM

I don’t care for small charges of fast powders in large cases myself.
If you think the small cases get spikey with minute amounts, large cases can and will do the same.

A fellow I know had been shooting reduced charges of 2400 for years in 45-70. Then one day kaboom.

When I started loading I had one person influence and help me. I won’t say he was wrong but he wasn’t 100% right. He had me scared to death of compressed loads.

I moved forward and started using more slow burning powders that are compressed. Once I understood a lot of things it changed my thoughts on loading.
Has been shown over and over on a solid powder column to be the most consistent.
I look for the same especially in the small calibers. The 17 Hornet gets a compressed load and is a tack driver.
I also have one for the 17 Fireball and the 17 Remington.
I side stepped around these small calibers for years. All because of what I read and heard, not because of what I knew. Most all of it was false.

Barrels, I may be dangerous now as I have an excellent teacher and my own lathe. They are like tires on a car, they wear out and need replaced. With the bore scopes available now, I see even more barrels being replaced sooner.

Cool powder. I won’t guess. I have seen small amounts of fast burning powders get hot and I have seen compressed loads get hot. There are the thoughts on abrasive wear from slow burning and fire cracking from fast powders.

Last edited by JSH; 07-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Heat index of powders

There are well established lists with powders indexed on the heat they produce.

AA2700 and HV100 are very close to the top in the "coolest" range of powders, and AA2520 not far down the list.

Many of us know how cool H1000 is and how it has increased the barrel life of the 243 shooting the 105 and 115g class of bullets along with N160.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Gary, I also like Western powders a lot, hence my like for ball powders. I load almost everything in my Dillon 550B. I know you have Hornady presses, but don't know if the same fix can be done on the Hornady. To fix the 22 caliber and smaller sizes, I opened up the mouth of the Dillon powder funnel with a tapered reamer (~15° taper) so it has a much longer and shallower/narrower taper. No more bridging. I can run IMR 4198 and even IMR 4064, if I need to without bridging, but still get some grain crunching.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that later on this evening. For the most part I’ve got by using ball and flake real well. That said I have a Lotta stick powders that I want to start using up. So last year I bought in our RCBS charge master to dispense the stick powder for me.

I have lots of faith in my progressive press and delivering consistent charges with most Ball or flake powders but with stick powders it throws me fits cutting kernels.

Coincidently you brought up progressive loading. Recently I was going to start a thread titled how much faith do you have in lower or smaller charges on your progressive press? Because I’m getting ready to throw some loads of 2.6 grains of AA#2 powder. My guess is it will do just fine. Time will tell I guess Sometime this week I’ll find out for sure .

I’ve learned a few things on this thread I didn’t know or I guess I didn’t remember about the different bases of powder being hotter. The only discussion I remember in the past where somebody saying something about VV powders and N series being cooler?

But what really surprised me was to hear about H 1000 powder because many years ago I settled on that is the ultimate power for my 7 mm STW
Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 PM

I have a lee pro auto disc and the now discontinued micro disc setup. It took some JB weld to fix a void in the lower bar then went ahead and lapped the disc on a piece of wet sand paper taped to a piece of glass.

Prior to that it would make a mess but I got it dialed in to drop 3.2gr of w231 with no problems. I also tried the adjustable charge bar but it was a shit show.

I own the hornady PM, a redding br series, and I love the pro auto disc. some hate it but for smaller charges (25gr and below) it's my go-to.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 PM

Gary, I have good experience/faith in the Dillon measures with small charges. A long time ago I ran a bunch of 38Spl 148gr full wad cutters, using 2.8gr of W231. No problems, but haven't used that load for years. I do still use a lot of 125gr JHP in 38Spl in my snubbies, using W231, but those are almost +P loads. Also run a bunch of 147gr 9mm with 4.3gr of WSF. Over the years, the Dillon measures typically run a range of 0.1gr with those ball powders. Thus, the 9mm load of WSF typically runs 4.3 - 4.4 gr of powder dropped over a run of 200 to 600 rounds. I check a charge about every 50 rounds when loading, once I have things set up and the press is running normally.

I avoid stick powders unless it is very short grained. Also, don't usually use big flake powders. They don't meter quite as well as the ball powders.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Default 17 Remington throat wear with Varget and 20g bullets@4000

Little to no lands left for 2.5 inches

Varget must eat barrels like shooting dried battery acid

[/url]
Old 08-07-2019, 06:38 PM

Heat Of Explosion kJ/kg

Varget 4050
CFE223 3920
BLC2 3990
8208 3920
4320 3890

IMR 4320 is a long time favorite of the 17R. Varget is the best/accuracy with 25 gr pills. BLC-2 gives better velocity than Varget with good accuracy. CFE 223 is my go to powder in the 17 Tac and is less suited for the 17R - 17R has about 3 grains less case capacity. I have never tried 8208 in 17R.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 AM

I've been trying AA 2230 with hornady 25 hp's. Been getting good results so far. 21.3 gr in Norma brass running ~4025-4050 fps. Grouping small. Out of CZ 527 varmint.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

If I recall correctly Sicero(Kenny Pond) used to load up about 60% of max charges of H4895 in his 17 Remington and go shoot prairedogs all day long.

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...ifle-loads.pdf

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn