Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Wyo, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I sure try to follow that.

The past few years have not been agreeable to a lot of folks that reload and shoot. I had to try some powders totally new to me. It was either that or not shoot at all. I have several pounds that just plain did not work.
I have since kept more on hand than in than years past, same goes with primers. I always kept 5k of various rifle and pistol on hand unopened. When I had to crack open a sleeve I started shopping around, or that is what I used to do. Now I buy what I use the most when I catch them on sale, even if I have plenty.

I am a big fan of VV powders, but I took them clear out of my inventory as what I was using was just to hard to come by. AA and Ramshot were almost in the same boat. I have stocked up on what I like since.
An older shooting friend had to quit because of health. He gave me all of his powder and primers, very lucky there. Brand new unopened keg of SR4759 and a partial along with a bunch of 1lb of various powders. Also a pile of primers. Always make sure his nephew has plenty of what he needs now.

I know what ya mean about work. Retirement is a ways off but that thing called a job sure can get in the way of a mans hobbies!!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

I was just adding a powder to the equation with my mention of IMR4198. I've owned well over a dozen (15 IIRC) 17 Remington rifles since the early to mid 1970's, and I've tried any and all of the mentioned powders that work well in the 17 Remington. And more than one of them do work extremely well. Anyone can find a good 17 Rem load with a lot of different powders.

Through it all, at the end of the day I've always went back to the IMR 4198 load that I shoot with Hornady 25 grain HP bullets for coyotes. It has worked extremely well in all of my 17 Rem rifles over the years, both in terms of accuracy and velocity. I've never had a problem with IMR 4198 powder bridging, but I also check every cartridge individually for consistent powder levels. It probably adds 2 minutes max to the loading of 100 rounds.

btw - Even though I hate to see Hornady stop making them, I have a lifetime supply of 25 grain Hornady HP bullets. I've been buying a few extras when I see them since back when Willy Clinton was a boy chasing skirts in the White House.........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-24-2019, 12:12 PM

BCB,
Does the H4198 run about the same as the IMR4198? Curious if you tried that one with the same results since they are about the same. Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreyley View Post
BCB,
Does the H4198 run about the same as the IMR4198? Curious if you tried that one with the same results since they are about the same. Thanks
I've never tried H4198 in the 17 Remington so I have no idea if "they are about the same" or not. I would definitely treat each of the two powders as two separate and unrelated powders if working up loads.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM

I have used both and found they are very close too each other. However I have read warnings that IMR is slightly faster that H, so I believe you should watch the load data and go slightly lower on charges with the IMR 4198. But in either case work up slowly to max or what your rifle indicates is pressure building. Bill K
Old 06-28-2019, 12:46 AM

Bill K,
Thanks, I'm aware that on the powder charts they are within 1 or 2 of each other without grabbing a book. I was just wondering if there was a benefit of one over the other. Thanks to you and BCB for the response.

Last edited by rbreyley; 06-28-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Default 17 Remignton loads

we shot heavy loads of Win 760 with 25g bullets, velocity and accuracy was great, start at 26.0g. Rem factory barrels would foul out somewhere between 80-120 rounds.

Shilen barrel replacements made life a little easier, but the reamer design sealed the deal with zero freebore.

Load we settled on was in the 21.5-23g of H322 with the 25g bullet, and speed was in the 3900 fps area. Carbon fouling was much less than with 760. We would get a mimimum of 125 rounds before the barrels fouled out slinging bullets sideways.

Primary use was p. dog hunting.

4320 is the powder for coyotes, 4150 with the 25's, but some barrels will copper foul out in 25-35 rounds with this kind of speed, two sako Vixens.

CFE sounds like a great deal, I would also think that aa2520 would be awesome but I have never heard of anyone try it.

17 Remingtons can drive you crazy as an out house rat. We found that turning necks cleared up most of the demons, along with short freebore reamers where you could touch the lands with the bullet. Every 17 R we had loved the 25g Berger to kiss the lands, groups were smaller than a pencil eraser with the H322 load above.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to x32030
Thumbs up .17 Remington

Here is a good recipe for ground hogs, 25gr. V-Max over 26.5gr of AA-2700 ignited with 450cci mag.primer. About 4060 fps. with Lilja barrel 700 rem. Bell&Carlson stock, Gold ring 36 power scope 1/8 minute dot. Death toll at 40 so far this year. LOL!! Wish I could post pics. Dave
Old 08-07-2019, 06:15 PM

Varget is the best with 25 grain pills.

BL-C2 is not as accurate as Varget but is a lot faster with the 25's.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreyley View Post
Bill K,
Thanks, I'm aware that on the powder charts they are within 1 or 2 of each other without grabbing a book. I was just wondering if there was a benefit of one over the other. Thanks to you and BCB for the response.
The 4198's are way too fast for the 17R. You will not get a good fill before you are over pressured.

IMR4198 is my go to powder for the 17FB and 25 vmax.