Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-25-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
Yes and if there was a decent bolt gun I liked in a .17 wsm I would have considered that for sure. If CZ would make one I would have owned it. The only .17 WSM I currently like was Volquartzen lightweight. I just dumped 12 k in thermal. Couldn't afford 2600.00 at the time for a rimfire with less range. Not only that coyotes bring a 50.00 bounty each on thos ranch and need to be shot as well. I'll run .22 Creedmoor in strictly coyote country
I've seen mention of people converting their CZ 17hmr's into 17 WSM
Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I would hope that some day CZ will make a 527 in WSM!
Old 09-25-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I've heard people talk about wanting to do this but I'm not sure anyone truly has converted a CZ 17 HMR to 17 WSM. I think it would be a fair bit more involved than just running a 17 WSM reamer in the barrel and I'm not sure how safe it would be to run the 17 WSM on CZ's 22/17HMR actions. I think if a person was willing to spend that kind of money, they'd be better off buying a Ruger 77 17 WSM, having the action trued, stock bed, and a good custom barrel chambered and installed. Even then, with the ammo being just kinda "ok-ish" I'm not sure how much better a semi custom would shoot over a factory gun.

It's been a couple years but I've talked to CZ a few different times about the possibility of them doing a 17 WSM and they basically told me, not in this lifetime, but, you never know things sometimes change and you can always hope.

Just to be clear, I don't think the 17 WSM ammo is any worse than the other rimfire ammo on the market because I'd say, except for match 22LR ammo, all other rimfire ammo is about on par with each other. Yes, some Lot #'s shoot better than others, but none of it, except for the match 22LR stuff, is what I would consider great.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 PM

I did some more research and it looks like the challenges around converting a CZ Rimfire (452, 453, 455) from 17HMR to 17WSM would include:

1. 17HMR Magazine is not long enough for 17WSM, and the magazine width might also be inadequate for larger diameter 17WSM case.

2. Re-cut the bolt face for larger diameter 17WSM case will shift the location of impact of the "rimfire" firing pin...moving it more toward middle of case. The diameter of the 17WSM is .333" whereas 17HMR is .286" ...so shift of .025" toward the center. Although most rimfires strike too far out on the rim of case, and re-profiling the firing pin so that it lease a small outside portion not compressed does improve ignition reliability and accuracy, I think this is more of a fer thousands of an inch....this shift might be too large.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:11 PM

Converting a CZ rimfire to WSM would be silly, when the 527 is available in .17 Hornet. Nothing more needs to be said about it.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennlasher View Post
Converting a CZ rimfire to WSM would be silly, when the 527 is available in .17 Hornet. Nothing more needs to be said about it.
Agree - that is the general consensus.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:33 AM

Naked lead, then jacketed soft-nose bullets, reigned supreme for predator hunters wanting performance and success. Then we took the lead out. Why?

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/pr...m_medium=email

I thought there would be more on lead free bullets but its an interesting article.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Supporting Member

I own two different Ruger 77/17 17WSM rifles and both are perfectly capable accuracy-wise of easily taking a bobcat at 150 yards, which is about as far away as I'll typically see one unless you catch a stupid one out in the open. That doesn't happen very often in my AO. I’ve never shot a bobcat with a 17 WSM, but it might be a good tool for doing just that.

One of my 17 WSM rifles is the original Ruger 17 17 WSM 24" barreled walnut stock and blue sporter weight rifle, and the other is the later production stainless and laminate stock rifle with the heavier 18.5" barrel.

Or I suppose I could use a 17 Hornet as some recommend for a bit more distance if needed............... Again, I’ve never shot a bobcat with one but it should work too.

I can attest to the fact that if you hit a bone anywhere on a bobcat, any bullet likely might help you increase your puzzle solving and sewing techniques. A 17 Remington bullet hitting bone (including rib bones) can cause major damage. No bones hit and damage is minimal most of the time

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Default 17HH on Raccoons

I have a terrible coon problem and use the 17HH for the majority of my 40 yd shots. Most have to be head shots in order to allow the eyes to find them instead of the nose. One particular incident involved what was supposed to be a heart shot using a reload closely duplicating factory ammo. The next AM I found blood, tissue and bone fragments but since it had rained the blood trail was lost. Two nights later the same coon was back sans a right front leg. Examination of the carcass showed very little injury to the core body of the coon. The front leg bones took almost 100% of the damage.
Yes, coons are tough critters and body shots are now made with a 223. I never would have believed the 17HH 20gr bullet could be stopped by a front leg of a 25# coon.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

If you have to shoot rim fire the 22 Mag with 40 or the 50gr Fed does s better job! That's the problem with the light high speed sub cal bulllets they don't have enough A$$ behind them! Especially at close ranges!