Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Default OT: Carry for hiking options

We have bear/lion encounters a few times a year in this area. My desire is to carry a revolver such that it is available for strong hand/ weak hand optionally rather than an optimum strong hand good luck with the weak hand rig.
What are your opinions and how do you carry?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:37 AM

I am right handed, but do use a cross draw over the frontal left hip. Even the weak hand (left) can make a draw from the holster. Bill K
Old 09-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Why choose a revolver?

Not meant to hijack thread

My brother is up in Alaska. We have had the "right gun for bear" discussion a few times. We are both big fans of revolvers...can't beat a Dan Wesson 44. We've all shot revolver nice and slow and it is straightforward and easy to achieve accuracy when cocking each shot (single action) and taking your time. I've shot IDPA with a revolver and it takes a lot of practice to shoot fast and accurate with a double action revolver. It is an entirely different thing trying to dump 6 rounds in under 2 seconds... Jerry Miculek is a freak of nature!

Our discussion has pivoted on "Why use a revolver for defense?"
Pros: Revolvers can handle larger cartridges; Best pistol platform for hunting; Nostalgia / "Just Feels Right" thing as well.

Cons: Limited round count; Heavy & bulky; Double action is added strain and may impact shooter's accuracy while shooting under duress &/or weak hand shooting.

When shooting under duress (self defense situation - Bear attack or just normal bad guy) assume rapid shooting, which means using double action and cycling cylinder as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. It takes lots of practice to learn to separate/isolate trigger finger hard squeeze from rest of hand tightening on grip causing shot to be pulled.

We finally settled on semi-automatic pistol because of the higher round count, ease of use, ease to carry, and built to handle mud and wet without concern. The caliber of choice being 10mm, which gets you close to large revolver cartridge. A polymer semi-auto, such as a Glock G20 (10mm) holds 15 rounds and weighs 31oz empty/40oz loaded.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Supporting Member

For both strong and weak hand use, a cross draw holster like Bill K mentioned is a good choice.

As for what to carry in terms of handgun type and caliber/cartridge, that debate will go on until mankind no longer exists. The only right answer is what you choose for the reasons that you choose it.

More importantly, whatever you choose, become proficient with it and develop a confidence in your mind about using it in case you ever do indeed need to use it.

Anytime that revolver/hand gun and bear discussions come around, I'm reminded of the old gun writer of years ago named Skeeter Skelton. He wrote for Shooting Times magazine, and in each monthly issue he had an extensive question and answer session. He was a big S&W Revolver/44 Magnum fan. Once a guy who planned to go hunting in Alaska where a Brown Bear encounter might occur asked Skeeter for some good 44 Mag loads to use. Skeeter gave him several very stout loads topped with hard cast lead bullets as options. How Skeeter ended the response has always stuck with me. He said in effect that if you planned to take on a Brown Bear with a handgun that the best advice he could give was to shoot the bear five times and yourself once....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-21-2019, 04:24 PM

barretcreek, since you asked for opinions, here's few. First are you talking about Grizzly/Brown Bear encounters or Black Bear encounters? Big difference. I lived in Alaska (year round) for well over 20 years. I flew a lot (an understatement...LOL!). I had my own aviation operation up there for many years. I flew a lot of sport fisherman both on wheels and floats to many destinations in the state. I was around a few Black bears through the years, but constantly around Brown bears in the areas I mostly flew into. I tried carrying a number of different kinds of heavy caliber pistols while I had people out fishing. None worked well...as being to heavy, to bulky, etc. I finally settled on a S & W Model 58. It was smaller and more compact with a 4" barrel. Was it perfect...NO, but I at least had it in a shoulder holster that was easy to carry with me all the time. I considered it a last ditch...no other option weapon only. I would have hated to have actually had to shoot a bear with it!!! I went through about three of them before I found one that shot were I looked (fixed sights), and I had the double action worked over to a very smooth pull. I also carried a short barreled Rem 660 that I had worked over. I had much more confidence in it. I carried it with me ALL the time I had folks out in the bush. I do recall that the University of Fairbanks did a study and published the results statewide on the best defense weapon against Grizzly/Brown Bears. The 375 H&H, 338 Win Mag, and if a person couldn't handle heavier recoil...the old reliable 30/06. No handguns or shotguns made their list that I recall. I agree with that even today. I used to have people coming up from the lower 48 that constantly asked what caliber handgun to bring with them. I'd tell them 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum, 38 Special, or a .22 Rimfire...whatever they were comfortable with, because if they actually decided to shoot one with a handgun...they needed to save one round for themselves! I had many encounters with bears while I lived up there, but actually never had to shoot one in defense. Cow Moose were much worse in my opinion! 410gauge
Old 09-21-2019, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

.410-I've seen that report Thelenius(?) did for the FS. Interesting and I have a box of 220gr. Coreloks which predate my .375 Wby.
I'm talking black bear and they are getting aggressive here. The area my cabin is in has one of the highest lion densities in the Central Rockies. As well as Bullwinkle, who I consider most likely to cause trouble. I carry either a .45 SA or .44 DA both with hard cast FN of about 280-300 gr at over 1000 fps.
My concern is my strong hand being out of action.

Thank you, all.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:09 PM

You can draw out of a strong side holster with your off hand from front or back with practice. I personally would not take away my fastest most used to carry option, strongside, but I can draw from it with either hand also.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter67wa View Post
You can draw out of a strong side holster with your off hand from front or back with practice. I personally would not take away my fastest most used to carry option, strongside, but I can draw from it with either hand also.

I agree totally with your response as I too prefer to carry with a strong side belt holster when out hunting

The key word in your post is "practice" perfecting the technique which is something that most people won't put the time into.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I was told by an old retired sheriff: "IF you can't do it with a .45 Colt in a Ruger you'd better have a rifle.

That's what I carry when I'm out in the boonies. 320gr hard cast hammerhead slug.

I told Rider awhile back: "IF I can't do it with 5 shots I'd better be somewhere else" That was about a shoot out and my pocket Airweight.

Here's a true story that will tighten you up a bit.
Folks drove up in '66. Dad hired a guy with a boat to take him across to Admiralty. He walked around the beach and saw lots of big bear tracks.
When it got dark enough, he laid a tarp down, bedding and went to sleep right there among 'em.

Next morning he took his .375 and crawled about a 1/4 mile up a bear tunnel in the brush til he came on a 5 gallon sized pile of bear "shit" (scat for you city boys!) thinking it looked fresh in the dim light, he stuck his bare hand in it and it was hot. "about that time I realized just how damned stupid I was".

Then he couldn't get Dan's attention and took close to two hours for his ride to get over there. By then his panties were wet. So ended his brownie dreams.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-23-2019, 01:06 PM

George, no one can deny that you have a way with words! LOL