Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Question How to clean a Volquartsen rifle barrel?

Hello guys.

I just bought a new Volquartsen SF-1 17HMR rifle and curious as how you guys clean a semi-auto rifle barrel. It's on the way here, haven't received it yet, but I read where VQ recommends the bore snake. I've been looking at the Otis 17 cleaning system and the Otis Ripcord. Just wondering how you clean semi-autos. I'm really hesitant to clean from the muzzle end. So, what do you recommend? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jim D---
SE Texas
Old 08-08-2017, 04:00 PM

Years ago, I made a delrin/nylon muzzle protector/rod guide for my 10-22 Ruger .22. I use it rarely, but it works perfectly, being 5" long.

The muzzle protector is a tight slide fit over the .920" muzzle and down 2 1/2" of barrel. The hole for the rod is beveled on the outside end for easy jag and patch access and aligns perfectly with the bore and guides the rod for 2 1/2" before it enters the muzzle.

There is no slop or wiggle for either rod or barrel.

This eliminates any problems with rod wear at the muzzle. It is easy and quick to use.

Last edited by Daryl; 08-08-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Cleaning a Volqquartsen

Hi

I bought an Otis Ripcord.
It Works great.

Don't buy the "Boresnake". It's too difficult to get the weighted end of the cord down the bore. It not heavy enough. Boresnakes for larger calibers work fine though.

Bye,

Bill
Old 08-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Cleaning a Volqquartsen

Hi

It Works great.

Don't buy the "Boresnake". It's too difficult to get the weighted end of the cord down the bore. It not heavy enough. Boresnakes for larger calibers work fine though.

Bye,

Bill
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default cleaning autos

Get a Patchworm, I have them in both 17cal, and 22cal on up. Mine are probably over 10yrs old, only thing I use to clean my rimfires. If it were a 22 cal center fire or larger then the Otis is the way to go.

http://www.patchworm.com/

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-08-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:13 AM

I use VFG Rifle cleaners for my 22lr and 17hmr and 17hh. I buy from this guy: http://www.iss-internationalshooters.../cleaning.html. Also see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYCMe2JvQGs

I am pretty sure that Brownells also carries them.

I use with a rod for my breach cleaned rifles and for the semi-autos and for field use I use the VFG "firearm pocket set" that has everything I need to clean in the field.

Patchworm is great, but you can make your own from a piece of weed trimmer line. Just melt and form a button on one end and sharpen the other end to pierce a cleaning patch or thread a VFG pellet. Modify the size of your "button" to customize for your patch size and rifle. Burt
Old 08-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Lots of choices. I have actually used the boresnake, and have not really had an issue with it. If I were you I would get some heavy fishing line and roll your own. Spray in foaming bore cleaner, let it set and pull patches thru until clean. I would not have bought a bore snake, if I had known they did not work, but I used mine for a couple of years before I knew that. now I just clean from the breach with a rod and guide.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperbill View Post
Hi

It Works great.

Bye,

Bill
Us the 17 bore snake in my 17HM2, 17HMR and 17Hornet and they work a charm-all Martini's. Works well in the Wife's Savage 17 HMR also. Of course it is a straight shot into the chambers of these type guns. The 10-22 style has a sharp turn to negotiate to get into that chamber.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 AM

Some of the 10-22 type recievers are drilled in the back of the receiver, in line with the barrel, for a cleaning rod.

That way the rod, string or whatever doesn't rub the crown when cleaning.

Hal
Old 08-11-2017, 03:13 PM

FYI the LW barrel is not going to require alot of cleaning in .17HMR, other than powder residue.