Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Default Consensus

Looks like Eezox may be the overall winner for a preservative. I will clean all dies before coating them with Eezox.

As I mentioned, I have a dehumidifier running that is holding the humidity between 35% and 40%. I think this humidity range should be acceptable after cleanup and preservative application.

Thanks to all who replied.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I gave up participating in Early Teal Season... 95-105 degrees, alligators, and the blood letting from the mosquitoes. When I get teary eyed about missing out I just go down to the store and buy some Cornish Game Hens...

They haven't been too bad lately, but all that can change with a storm and strong Northern winds. Suddenly there is an infestation of giant salt water mosquitoes that have been blown 45 miles north out of the marshes. I have been known to place on my head lamp, turn off all the lights in the house, and go on a Mosquito Safari before going to bed.
Had to go on safari every night, Until one of my customers who does window rescreening showed me the light he rescreened most of my screens that had failed from sun exposure they looked good but the material was so worn the skeeters just blew through the best part of the fix was a special dog door made in to the patio screen door no more opening and closing letting the buggers in the flap knocks them off the dog too,

Oh about rust on the dies I use either Remington or Hornady dry lube no sticky no running to prevent and CorrosionX to remove or at least reduce
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I gave up participating in Early Teal Season... 95-105 degrees, alligators, and the blood letting from the mosquitoes. When I get teary eyed about missing out I just go down to the store and buy some Cornish Game Hens...

They haven't been too bad lately, but all that can change with a storm and strong Northern winds. Suddenly there is an infestation of giant salt water mosquitoes that have been blown 45 miles north out of the marshes. I have been known to place on my head lamp, turn off all the lights in the house, and go on a Mosquito Safari before going to bed.
Dang, Oso.......... You must live in a rough part of town with all of these mosquito horror stories.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 AM

I'm 15 miles south of downtown on Hwy 288. We'll have normal mosquitoes just like everywhere else. But then on occasion, there a large storm in the Gulf with strong gusting winds for a couple of days. The results will be that both the seagulls and black/white striped marsh mosquitoes get blown into our neighborhood. Break out the fumigators...

We always tend to catch more rain then rest of city... southern pathway of most thunderstorms/fronts hitting hot moist air from the Gulf.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-13-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I'm 15 miles south of downtown on Hwy 288. We'll have normal mosquitoes just like everywhere else. But then on occasion, there a large storm in the Gulf with strong gusting winds for a couple of days. The results will be that both the seagulls and black/white striped marsh mosquitoes get blown into our neighborhood. Break out the fumigators...

We always tend to catch more rain then rest of city... southern pathway of most thunderstorms/fronts hitting hot moist air from the Gulf.
Oh........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM

As far as removing surface rust from dies a brass wire wheel on a bench grinder is the cat's PJ's. For storage I put a piece of Cortec vapor phase metal protection paper in every die box cut to size. This is that brown paper that metal parts like bearings are wrapped in. The vapor phase paper keeps away all rust in my humid area of the country.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral View Post
As far as removing surface rust from dies a brass wire wheel on a bench grinder is the cat's PJ's. For storage I put a piece of Cortec vapor phase metal protection paper in every die box cut to size. This is that brown paper that metal parts like bearings are wrapped in. The vapor phase paper keeps away all rust in my humid area of the country.
I assume the vapor phase paper has a limited useful life? Does anyone know how long it is effective or how to tell if it is still working?

Thanks,

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM

I have read some articles/threads on woodworking that raise concern about using desiccant type products for rust prevention. With the exception of an environmentally "sealed" container, desiccant will continue to draw/attract moisture from the surrounding environment (pull moisture into an unsealed container). The result of a unsealed container is you now have fully saturated desiccant sitting with your metal, which can encourage rust formation from higher levels of moisture in the container. At least this has been reported to have been the cause.

In my shop the treated paper only seems to work if it is tightly wrapped around the object. Even then I have also directly treated the metal with some form of protection (direct barrier). I have very little faith in an indirect barrier. I had a nice Leigh Nielsen hand plane that was wiped down with oil, placed inside a silicon impregnated stocking, and then stored inside workbench drawer go south on me. Imagine my heartburn when I took it out 2 months later to discover a fine layer of surface rust!!!! They all now get coated with Boeshield T9 or Johnson Paste Wax.

Take this with a grain of salt: Depends what part of the country you're in and where your gear is stored. My friend doesn't believe in using a Golden Rod for fear that it will cause an electrical fire inside his safe. Instead, he uses a giant tub of desiccant. He routinely has to replace it or at least place it in the oven and evaporate out the water from the crystals. This wouldn't work in my master closet due to the amount of moisture coming from the bathroom (lots of hot showers).
Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Default RRevisiting Rust Prevention - Indepth study

I am pulling this link over from Accurate Shooter. Someone did a nice test on all the top products.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

As a preventative I'd recommend Eezox as well. I use it for firearms and knives with excellent results.