Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM

Default OT

This is off topic but on the same line. I took my two sons out shooting today. Their first time with a bb gun. The old red Ryder style. They had a great time and did well with safety. I couldn't have been happier. They are 5 and 7 and getting an earlier start then I did . We had a great time and I got to shoot some pistol and shotgun . I take a day off every year for my birthday to spend at the family farm and this one is one of the most memorable.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Default OT

That is great. The only way to start them off and also a good family outing, nothing finer. Bill K
Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM

I still remember my first years with a BB gun. I smile when I think about how many tens of thousands of BB's must still be in that old neighborhood.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
I still remember my first years with a BB gun. I smile when I think about how many tens of thousands of BB's must still be in that old neighborhood.
lol same here. I remember always wanting copperheads as "they had snake poison on them"! lol back when you could buy them in the pint sized milk carton for next to nothing.

Great Job getting your little ones out OP. It is a very enjoyable experience! my boys are 8,6,and 1. started the 8yo on a lil buck (a mini red ryder) when he was 3 he used to get all into it with me and even took him dove hunting and when I was dressing out the birds he came over and wanted to help so he ripped off one of the heads and was walking around with it then mom comes out and he's like "this birdy is dead!" lol ahh. good times to bad his bio father has polluted him and we don't go out that much any more.

the 6yo (just turned 6 yesterday) however still comes out with me to shoot his savage rascal that I got him two years ago. I folded and put a mini red dot on it for him as he was having issues with the irons and was getting discouraged, but in time we'll get there.(he's left eye dominate and right handed)

anything to get these kids off their netflix and games is a good thing. teaching them the respect and skill of a rifleman is what we need more of in this country. so I applaud you OP and keep it up.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:48 PM

My son will be five in July and he has started shooting prairie dogs and rabbits with me. He is also right handed and left eye dominant. He has been holding the gun on his left shoulder and pulling the trigger with his right hand. I bought him a .22 squirrel the other day and will give it to him on his birthday so he can actually reach the trigger with his left hand. I know he should have started with a BB gun like all of us did but he won't shoot the .22 unsupervised for quite some time. It's a lot of fun to see the little guys get so excited about something like this.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 PM

My son seen a baby cotton tail here one day checking cows and wanted to catch it. So I got the live trap out and told him he needed to get some bait. He went to the refrigerator and came back with a carrot so we put the carrot in the trap and set it where he seen the bunny. About a week later we went by the trap and he had this coon. He was so pumped and excited he couldn't even talk. I didn't think he would catch anything let alone a coon.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:09 AM

LOL! Mr. Coon doesn't look anywhere near as happy as the young 'un.