Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 PM

Default Burris Veracity

Is anyone using the Burris Veracity FFP scope on varmints and how do you like it? Thinking of trying the 5-25x50 on my 2018 PD safari...
Old 03-31-2018, 04:11 PM

I bought two of them. Both 4-20 and 5-25. Put one on a vartarg and the other on 223.
Specific use was beldings, out to 300 yards or so.
As far as the scope quality glass, controls etc I thought they were very nice.
I forget what the varmint type reticle is called but it was as good as others. (I have leupold and zeiss scopes on my other rifles).
The only dislike I had with the higher power scopes, in FFP is
1) when searching through the scope for the little buggers, field of view is narrow. If you turn the scope down, the cross hairs bunch up and cover the target a bit much.
2) mirage can get pretty rough at the high powers so again you turn down power cross hairs get thick and bunch up.
3) FFP is wonderful for ranging, holdover etc, but the squeaks get covered up when you zoom way out.
4) their ballistic programs for the scopes are pretty handy.
5) for paper the power and clarity are pretty decent.
6) cross hairs were a little thick for my taste.
7 in comparison to my zeiss hd5 5-25, I have the same issue. The stadia line zeros are correct at 20x. Well 20 is too much most of the time. So I either zoom out, and now ranges are off (except for zero), but cross hairs look the same. FFP is exact opposite. Ranges stay correct, cross hairs get bunched up. What to do?

Several of you the things I mentioned are specific to FFP and not Burris but this was my experience.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I bought two of them. Both 4-20 and 5-25. Put one on a vartarg and the other on 223.
Specific use was beldings, out to 300 yards or so.
As far as the scope quality glass, controls etc I thought they were very nice.
I forget what the varmint type reticle is called but it was as good as others. (I have leupold and zeiss scopes on my other rifles).
The only dislike I had with the higher power scopes, in FFP is
1) when searching through the scope for the little buggers, field of view is narrow. If you turn the scope down, the cross hairs bunch up and cover the target a bit much.
2) mirage can get pretty rough at the high powers so again you turn down power cross hairs get thick and bunch up.
3) FFP is wonderful for ranging, holdover etc, but the squeaks get covered up when you zoom way out.
4) their ballistic programs for the scopes are pretty handy.
5) for paper the power and clarity are pretty decent.
6) cross hairs were a little thick for my taste.
7 in comparison to my zeiss hd5 5-25, I have the same issue. The stadia line zeros are correct at 20x. Well 20 is too much most of the time. So I either zoom out, and now ranges are off (except for zero), but cross hairs look the same. FFP is exact opposite. Ranges stay correct, cross hairs get bunched up. What to do?

Several of you the things I mentioned are specific to FFP and not Burris but this was my experience.
I have the 4-20x50 on my CZ 527 204 and I'd agree with most of what Craig said. The one thing I've noticed about most scopes in this price range is they tend to get a bit more grainy when the power is turned up to the max. I don't use the scope set on max power all that much so it's not that big of a deal for me. Overall, they're a pretty decent scope for the money.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:55 PM

Pretty good reviews guys... I was thinking of the 5-25 and now maybe the 4-20... I have one Leupold Varmint reticle scope and do enjoy the benefits but as noted, changing the power off the mark changes POI.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
Pretty good reviews guys... I was thinking of the 5-25 and now maybe the 4-20... I have one Leupold Varmint reticle scope and do enjoy the benefits but as noted, changing the power off the mark changes POI.
Ken158, another scope I'd suggest looking at and you can generally find used ones in the same price range as the Veracity is the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50. I bought one with the Z800 Reticle from Cabela's last fall on one of their one day only sales. Ended up paying less for it than I payed for my Veracity. Having had both, I would definitely say my Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 has better optics.

Another scope I recently picked up that has really impressive optics and a great varmint reticle is the Vortex HD LH 3-15x42. Not as much power as you were originally asking about but optically, these things are very good and they are also very light. I just put one on a CZ 527 17 Hornet.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:02 AM

I don't get it, its FFP so the reticle stays the same size relative to the target. Always. It CAN'T 'cover up' anything. Ever. Illusion because reticle appears larger to the eye the higher the power but always stays same size relative to target.

Yes I have a 4x20 with the FFP E1. And several other FFP's. This reticle is a simple outer duplex for close in work/runner shots at low power and a christmas tree style holdover/windage grid with a fine center crosshair. Its a decent varminting reticle. The smallest reticle lines are .15 MOA which is to my eyes just about right for a non-illuminated reticle and shooting from 6x-12x. .10 MOA like the Vortex are too small for me under about 12x can't see the lines clearly against a dark background. Glass is appropriate for the street price range it sells in, neither outstanding or disappointing. I'd also rate the Zeiss HD5 as slightly better glass.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/reticle...e1-ffp-varmint

Last edited by GrocMax; 04-01-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 AM

all depends on the reticle thickness. I have an Athlon Ares 4.5-27 FFP. The reticle middle crosshair is 0.16" @ 100m, which is 0.79" @ 500m

For comparison:

-Vortec PST Gen 2 5-25 (FFP) reticle is 0.13" @100m … 0.67" @ 500m
-Zeiss HD5 5-25 (SFP) at 25x is 0.125" @ 100m so pretty much the same as my Ares.

Just looked at the Burris Varacity 4-20 and its 0.13" so exactly same as the Zeiss HD5 at 25x!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Vortex FFP as on the HS LR series is friggin' tiny subtensions, like .10 MOA. Suitable for long distance targets at higher magnifications but can't see-ums at low mag and low contrast background. You can go too small.

For me the Zeiss HD5, while not super premium glass I can shoot PD's for quite a bit longer without eye strain than other scopes.

only scope I've used that could actually cover up a PD was the Burris Eliminator III, has a huge like 2+ MOA vertical center post (non-FFP). Didn't matter much as the ranging works well lots of 1st shot hits due to proper ranging.