Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Default Lapua Vartarg brass

Anyone use Lapua brass in their 20 Vartarg cut with the standard reamer? I have read the Lapua brass is larger at the base and needs a special reamer for the Vartarg if using lapua brass. There are a few threads referencing this but there seem to be just as many threads with people using it without issue. Having a new one built with a standard Vartarg reamer and trying to decide which direction I am going with my brass.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Won't a pass through your sizing die make them all the same, regardless of brass manufacturer?

Lapua brass has thicker necks than some of the other brass makers so you may want to make sure your reamer has enough neck clearance or you could possibly have to turn your necks if there isn't enough neck clearance.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:37 PM

I tried some Lapua brass but would have to turn necks so not worth it for me. I got some LC cases made by someone here a while back and they wouldn’t work either. I am shooting a Cooper. I buy Remington Fireball brass whenever I see a good deal and although they may not last "forever", they do last a good many loadings. The primer pockets are the first thing to go (loose).

Last edited by ken158; 11-01-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lapua Brass .20VT

My rifle is a Savage action, Shilen barrel. I have used Lapua, Nosler and Remington brass. Form cases in a Redding 17 M4 forming die #1 per Adam Bentley. I used virgin brass (Remington) to headspace on. All cases chamber and shoot fine. Honestly don't see a difference in my groups, but that is probably just me. Have >8 reloads on some cases and haven't had to trim one yet.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teancum1 View Post
My rifle is a Savage action, Shilen barrel. I have used Lapua, Nosler and Remington brass. Form cases in a Redding 17 M4 forming die #1 per Adam Bentley. I used virgin brass (Remington) to headspace on. All cases chamber and shoot fine. Honestly don't see a difference in my groups, but that is probably just me. Have >8 reloads on some cases and haven't had to trim one yet.
Thanks for the info. I have 500 pieces of new 221 Lapua I took in trade several years ago after it came out that I would like to use. I have no issue with using Remington but it just isn't out there right now. My other Vartarg has brass made from LC brass by Adam that I am very pleased with but there isn't any virgin LC brass around right now either. I planned on putting the Lapua to use but read a few threads about the base being larger and would rather avoid issues before they happen.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:46 PM

My custom 20 VarTarg chamber was cut with an off the self PP&G reamer purchased from Bullets.com. About as standard as it gets, and I use Lapua 221 brass in it with no issues. It did have the .232 neck, and as a result I have to turn the Lapua brass, but for the most part it is a skim cut. Some of the cases were about a 75% clean up but most were a very light 100% cut. Easy to do the turning but I understand people not wanting to do so.

Not sure it matters to the conversation, but I use a standard Redding VarTarg bushing die to size.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
My custom 20 VarTarg chamber was cut with an off the self PP&G reamer purchased from Bullets.com. About as standard as it gets, and I use Lapua 221 brass in it with no issues. It did have the .232 neck, and as a result I have to turn the Lapua brass, but for the most part it is a skim cut. Some of the cases were about a 75% clean up but most were a very light 100% cut. Easy to do the turning but I understand people not wanting to do so.

Not sure it matters to the conversation, but I use a standard Redding VarTarg bushing die to size.
Should be the same reamer. I have no problem turning the necks, I just don't want any other surprises. What size bushing do you use?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 PM

You would have to ask that! I would have to go shake it out of the die. Pretty sure it is a .228 though.

Out of curiosity I did shake it out and it is .228. Didn't remember this but I bought a .226 and .227 at the same time, and have not used either one of them.

Also measured and I turn my necks to .013, so if my math works out I'm running .001 to .002 of neck tension. I guess I should try using the .227 bushing and see if additional neck tension makes any difference.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:15 AM

Lapua brass is no problem in my VarTarg, a model 38 Cooper.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold M View Post

I have a chamber cut with a standard reamer. I have had no problems with Lapua cases, even though they run large. However, the gunsmith's rifle, with a chamber cut with the same reamer, eventually developed a "click" at the top of the unlocking stroke with Lapua cases, and he believes it is due to the smaller clearance between the head and the chamber getting even smaller as the cases are fired more and more. I have examined some of the Lapua cases fired "a lot" in his rifle, and the rim is now larger than when I formed his cases. Whether the problem would eventually appear in other cases, I don't know.

Harold

Interesting. I did locate some new Remington 221 Fireball brass so I could just go with that and sell the Lapua. My only concern there is I am less than impressed with my Remington 17 Fireball brass. The primer pockets loosen rather quickly IMO and I don't run hot loads. Third option is to have it made from once fired Lake City brass. Decisions, decisions.