Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Default lower flash powder

I am taking a "small" bore, .300 Savage 760 Remington to Texas for a hog hunt. I am going to use it for a bit of night shooting, with an ATN 4k scope on top. I am planning on using H4198 with a grain GMX bullet, and am wondering/ hoping that it will make a little smaller fireball in the NV scope, since it has a smaller charge and faster burn rate. Any thoughts? Most of what I read is related to short barreled handguns.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:21 AM

What part of Texas are you coming to visit and kill our pigs?

It really won't matter. You seldom get the "Killing Field" like you see the pros on YouTube. Those guys are hunting over massive acreage...crop fields in the 100's of acres size. My cautionary advise is plan to kill one pig at a time or else you'll miss while you are trying to work out a masterplan. Make the 1st shot count and try not to get of yourself planning for the follow-up shots on multiple hogs running. Unless, you are actually headed to hunt over giant farm plot...

Your best solution for the potential flash is a suppressor. If you don't have one then my next question - is your rifle barrel threaded? If so there is a flashhider that literally captures all the flash. I put one on my brother-in law's AR15 (he doesn't have a can) and you can barely tell that he has taken a shot. There is a YouTube video from a couple of years ago that tested all of the top flashhiders and this thing won hands down. As I recall it is made by JP Enterprises and is worth the $75!!!

I can track it down if your interested.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 01-27-2020 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:55 AM

Not going to be optimum for velocity, but IMR 7383 Spotter round powder was formulated to minimize flash. I shoot it in my 14" 30-40 AI Contender barrel and the flash is quite modest.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:41 AM

I found it $59. I cant say enough about how well it eliminated flash

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFH-762L
Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info. The gun I am putting the ATN NV on is not threaded. It's a 50's Remington pump, in above average shape, so I probably won't be threading it. I am also taking a 7.62X39 AR with a 16" barrel, that I may switch the scope to for day use. I have to do a little testing, on and off different guns with different profiles to see if that will work. I am going about one hour north of Dallas to shoot. It is my wife's first cousin's ranch and they have feeders out so hopefully we will get a few shots over two days. It's really going to be closer to shooting chucks than hunting, as she just want's us to try and kill as many as we can. I was guessing that the first shot needed to drop one and go from there. As far as the night hunt, I figured any more than one shot and I would be lucky, unless I sat out there all night. The cabins, food and refreshments are going to be provided along with a guide, "her stepson" along with a Gator. She says they are overrun with rock doves, so I will be taking a .25 Marauder PCP with also. If we decide to make it an annual trip, I will probably break down and get a can. We are heading down Feb 28th, so hopefully the weather won't suck too much.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Not going to be optimum for velocity, but IMR 7383 Spotter round powder was formulated to minimize flash. I shoot it in my 14" 30-40 AI Contender barrel and the flash is quite modest.
Honestly had never seen or heard of that powder before??
Old 01-28-2020, 01:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Me either.

Believe I'd give Red Dot a try.
Burns quick and good power for
the quantity.

Loaned an old rusted out '06 to a guy.
He cast hard 165gr slugs and used I think 15gr
won the CMP matches @ 200yards with it every round.

I've used/fired many hundreds of '06's with 115gr cast
and 4 gr RD. Mighty fine plinker, teaching load. No flash
I ever saw, never shot it in full dark though. Very accurate
out to 50 yds with the 4gr loads.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-28-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Thanks for the info. The gun I am putting the ATN NV on is not threaded. It's a 50's Remington pump, in above average shape, so I probably won't be threading it. I am also taking a 7.62X39 AR with a 16" barrel, that I may switch the scope to for day use. I have to do a little testing, on and off different guns with different profiles to see if that will work. I am going about one hour north of Dallas to shoot. It is my wife's first cousin's ranch and they have feeders out so hopefully we will get a few shots over two days. It's really going to be closer to shooting chucks than hunting, as she just want's us to try and kill as many as we can. I was guessing that the first shot needed to drop one and go from there. As far as the night hunt, I figured any more than one shot and I would be lucky, unless I sat out there all night. The cabins, food and refreshments are going to be provided along with a guide, "her stepson" along with a Gator. She says they are overrun with rock doves, so I will be taking a .25 Marauder PCP with also. If we decide to make it an annual trip, I will probably break down and get a can. We are heading down Feb 28th, so hopefully the weather won't suck too much.

I'm available for adoption ..... just say'n
Old 01-28-2020, 09:31 AM

I am truly blessed with my family. I wish that all folks could really enjoy a family that mostly I call my good friends. The irony of the pig hunting trip, is that my brother in law and I were discussing or upcoming Elk hunt, on my sons father in law's ranch butting up to the Black Hills. My wife's cousin asked if we had ever hunted pigs. We asked why, do you know somewhere to hunt? She said, ya, my ranch! I never filled my Elk tag, so hopefully I will have better luck with the pigs! Either way, I am going to have a great time, just like the Elk hunt.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Good attitude is the main starting point.

Go to have a good time and learn, see and enjoy
new places and ways to do things etc.

Tag soup isn't too bad once you try it a few times.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"