Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-23-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Remington 581

I was browsing through the local for sale website and found this. Didn't know if anyone would be interested. I have no connection to the rifle or seller.

http://classifieds.rennug.com/classi...dindex=5169379
Old 02-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Supporting Member

fwiw..... The 581 that I stumbled across a couple of months ago shoots the Winchester HV stuff extremely well. It's a keeper.

As many already know, the 581's are excellent rifles and they are the basis of the Remington 541 rifle which is simply the 581 action in a gussied up appearance. For me, the 581 meets my needs and they are well worth the money. I got mine Uber cheap, but this is not a bad deal.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-24-2020, 08:31 PM

BCB, does the 581 have a match chamber? I.E., does the bullet get engraved by the rifling when a bullet is chambered? Years ago, I got a 541-S to shoot 22lr silhouette, and they will engrave the rifling. Love just about any SV ammo, but especially like CCI Mini-Mags and Win Power Points for HV ammo. My first 541-S was really beat up, but shoots great. About 5 years later, I ran into a very nice (95%+) 541-S with a period Bushnell 4x scope on it, and it shoots great too. Nothing like quality firearms.

It looks like that 581 from the first post also looks like it has a Leupold AO scope on it. it should be a bargain, if so.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 PM
Supporting Member

No, it appears to have just a normal LR chamber as bullets are not engraved when a cartridge is chambered. Still, with how accurate it is at 50 yards, I'm not complaining for being short-changed.......

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:49 PM

Just to chime in on those older Remmies -- I bought a 580 at a rummage sale (which I still have), that outshot my 541THB and my Cooper. The latter two are long gone. The 580 is just as it came, factory trigger, refinished factory stock, etc.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:13 PM

I had a 581 yeas ago, in the 80's seems to me. It absolutely loved Winchester T22 ammo and with those, it was a 1/2" rifle
at 100 meters off the bags, on windless days, of course. One 12 shot group I made in a buffeting wind, was 1 1/2" Centre
to Centre, but was only 2 bullet holes high.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM

Sigh... Old T-22 Winchester ammo. Wish I had more of it, but I still have a stash of a few boxes that get used for special purposes/occasions. The last special occasion was to drag out my 1925 vintage Win M52 a couple of years ago. Shot a few rounds to check sights and then a did a group. Five shots T-22, factory peeps, 100yds, a little crosswind, and shot a 13/16" center to center. Decided to put it back away because it couldn't get any better than that for me.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

My primary interest is for hunting so I try to get as much velocity as possible with good accuracy. As a result, I'm not into Match ammo which tends to make any 22LR more accurate.

For hunting purposes, I can easily live with the HV accuracy in this 581. Its going pd shooting with me later this year........just for kicks and grins.

-BCB