Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
I have one of the Howa 1500 Mini rifles in .204. The gun was bought to be a walk around varmint gun and also a truck gun. Where it will see it's main use, it will unlikely ever be shot beyond 250 yards. There are some neighbors around the property and I want to tone down the report a little on the .204 while still retaining the flatness with a light bullet like the 32 blitzking/Vmaxes, and the 35 Berger.

I have friends that are avid prairie doggers with custom rigs, and I'm familiar with the Vartarg and quality barrels and rifles, but I don't absolutely need benchrest groups from this little rig. The gunsmith we have always used retired so now I'm looking for a reasonably priced, knowledgeable smith to do the work.
The problem I've always had with Howas , The barrels are put on tight, really tight. I've always ended up taking the parting tool to the barrel just in front of the receiver to a depth double that of the threads, to be able to remove the barrel.
I dont know if its that way with the minis, but knowing what I know about the Japanese .,. the mini will likely be the same.
My best guess is you'll be needing a new barrel.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt k View Post
Bob green is in York pa. He’s working on a 20 vt for me now. Hes been good working with so far and his prices are reasonable.
Bob does outstanding work and is very easy to work with. He has very reasonable turn around times and is very familiar with the 20VT. He is building my second now, should be done any day.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Jack didn't give me the guys name. He don't use a computer.
Member of the American Custom gun makers guild though.
Does fine work and much cheaper and quicker than most in the PA area.

Give him a call: 724/529-7240

You might mention that TISH suggested him.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-18-2018 at 01:58 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the information, I will check with the guys you suggested. I was expecting to spend $150 - $200, I'm definitely not interested in spending $500 - $600 for a new barrel installed. I'll just shoot it as a .204 if I can't find someone able to set the barrel back at a reasonable price.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
The problem I've always had with Howas , The barrels are put on tight, really tight. I've always ended up taking the parting tool to the barrel just in front of the receiver to a depth double that of the threads, to be able to remove the barrel.
I dont know if its that way with the minis, but knowing what I know about the Japanese .,. the mini will likely be the same.
My best guess is you'll be needing a new barrel.
I talked to Shaw barrels. The guy I spoke to there confirmed that the 1500 barrels are a pain to get off. He said they use a Mauser wrench, I think he said a 96?
Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

CGR:

I had a Shaw barrel turned to match my old 1917 enfield, blued, chambered deep, finished except mounting. Believe it was $270 delivered and just over a couple months. This past summer.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"