Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
I think I can get you some 17 grain bullets as used in HMR.
I’m in UK but will send some over. Let me know if interested and I’ll get price.
Alternately, I think some members on Saubier might have a stash they might share.
Regards,Ken.
Thank you, Ken for the kind offer. Were these available in a limited run?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
I have noticed a continual decline in numbers of groundhogs. Have you noticed the same in PA? I am not sure if it is just where I hunt or everywhere?
Yes, my hunting buddy and I were below our usual quota of around 45, to a new low of 32. However, last year was very wet and the fields we hunt which are basically hay fields couldn't be mowed as often due to the wet conditions,
Old 01-31-2019, 03:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
Yes, my hunting buddy and I were below our usual quota of around 45, to a new low of 32. However, last year was very wet and the fields we hunt which are basically hay fields couldn't be mowed as often due to the wet conditions,
Yes. It was way too wet last year. Maybe we will have more targets this year
Old 01-31-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
moorepower and Bill K,

Have you ever tried to reduce the velocity on the 25 gr HP to see how it behaves? For example, if I had a reduced load at 2000 fps and I saw a rabbit to shoot, would it blow it to bits or give me rabbit stew?
I have not, but I am 99% sure that it would be less destructive. I DID get a double at 265 yards where the bullet passed through and killed the second, telling me that their was far less expansion, but I did not walk out and look.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I think I can get you some 17 grain bullets as used in HMR.
I’m in UK but will send some over. Let me know if interested and I’ll get price.
Alternately, I think some members on Saubier might have a stash they might share.
Regards,Ken.

Kenbro,

Thanks Ken, I have a small pile of each of the 17HMR bullets, 17gr Vmax, & 20gr Gamepoint, & those will last my lifetime.

Yesterday I managed to pick up some boxes of Hndy #17103, 25gr hp, so for the moment I think I have enough of each of those for my needs

The guys here looking for the better game bullets for eating purposes should try downloading the 25gr HNDY HP, to about 2000fps, or if you want a bullet that will actually expand use a 20gr HMR Gamepoint with a velocity on impact of between 1600 to 2000fps. My favorite load with any of these is about 1850fps with them loaded all the way into the lands.

At close range they both will do enough damage to be useful, and are accurate enough that you are able (with care) to thread it between twigs to hit rabbits hiding in sage.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
If you can get your mitts on the 20gr Game Point 17HMR bullet, you will be happy with it at 2200fps.

Have you ever shot those at fireball speeds? I have some I bought on here years ago. Need to get around to testing them in my AH's. Also need to get the viper parts so I can shoot them in that too!

Aaron
Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Default 17 grain

Quote:
PM Sent.
Ken.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Have you ever shot those at fireball speeds? I have some I bought on here years ago. Need to get around to testing them in my AH's. Also need to get the viper parts so I can shoot them in that too!

Aaron
Yes, they actually seldom come apart in flight, they are plenty accurate with no diffrrence between them and the centerfire cartridge hornady hp or vmax for general accuracy that I can see.

They are rimfire bullets, built on the same general design. In a 17HMR, they are just starting out a lot slower, so you are generally looking at 200 to 300yds max out of an HMR, the BC is terrible so spinning these up to 4k fps doesn't really add a ton.of range, though they are of course extreemly quick to fragment.

Remember they do well starting out at 2200 to 2550 in an hmr, so when you shove them to the limit in a 17FB you should expect a few smoke trails or bullets that never arrive on target.

Actually in my experience this smoky bullet trail has only.happened a few times. I was shooting the 20gr Gamepoint over a max charge of H4198 and it probably was simply just too much to ask of the bullet. 12/9 =4/3 =1.33333. 4000x1.33333= 5333.33rpsx60 sec = 319999 rpm. Perhsps too much to ask of it. The 17grVMAX HMR bullets I have pushed faster without blowups. Somewhere above 430krpm they probably start comming apart.

Both of the 17gr bullets below were shot at about 3700fps from a 1 in 9" twist barrel. The solid copper bullets were fired into damp sand at less than twenty yards. The 17gr vmax bullet on the right was fired at coke cans set up at about 380 yards. At that range they are just about to go sub sonic, yet they still expanded enough and blew up a water filled coke can.

The BC of the 20gr Gamepoint is just about identical over short ranges to the 17gr VMAX.

Last edited by 17tbs; 02-04-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Default PM

Quote:
‘nother PM sent.
Regards,Ken.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
‘nother PM sent.
Regards,Ken.
PM replied.