Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-07-2019, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

Default Calling BCB & G.W.

Fellas i'm at my little hide away in the mountains and ready to shoot the 5mm Schroeder

You will know what a pain the rim fire bolt is to get back in, firing pin to the top correct bolt angle. Does the same thing apply once the Schroeder bolt head has been fitted? Do I just align much the same way as the rim fire bolt

Thanks
Johno
Old 06-07-2019, 12:02 PM
Supporting Member

Johno,
It can be pain to re-install the bolt but try looking at this first -- the bolt installation starts at around 1 minute and 39 seconds;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09YamTzYx5o
Sorry if you already looked this up. I have the 591 with a magazine and found it was easier with the mag out -- don't know how that tube feed would affect you but the big thing is the darn bolt head has a habit of wanting to rotate as you install it -- just make sure the extractor on the right side of the bolt is staying on the right side position as the bolt is inserted and don't forget about pushing that safety forward. This applies to both types of bolt heads.

Sure looks easy in the youtube video!

Last edited by 22_boomer; 06-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:15 PM
Supporting Member

Boomer that's the video I watched to re install on my 592, really grateful that was out there because it was driving me nuts trying to get the bolt back in.

Hoping Gary or BCB comes along just in case there is a difference but I reckon i'll just go with lining up the extractor as you said

Johno
Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 AM
Supporting Member

Sorry, I haven’t dropped in here until now. I’ve never seen the video but will watch it tomorrow.

Yes it can be a pain, I struggled once for about 15 minutes. Not even sure what I did differently now (been a long time ago). I have a young man hired to help me and I’m pretty busy and stuff and sore but if I find time tomorrow night I will pull mine out to refresh my memory (it’s time to shoot it (been a while and have been spending too much time shooting other thing like the 22 Jet).

Sorry I’m no help as of right now
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Supporting Member

No worries Gary, maybe I should help and buy the Jet

Johno
Old 06-08-2019, 12:24 PM
Supporting Member

The bolt insertion is a problem with the rifle design and the Schroeder conversion does nothing to make it better. Its a rifle thingy.......

Follow the instructions in the youtube video about the bolt lug positioning and insert the bolt slowly, gently wiggle the bolt handle a bit as you go, and with the safety pushed forward, the bolt will go right in.

It takes some getting used to doing, but learning how to do it consistently is part of the "5MM experience".

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2019, 12:42 PM

I have a couple of Remington 541-S and they are exactly the same way.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:55 PM

On the bottom of the bolt is a groove and on the carrier (M592) is a projection that mates with it. It takes a deft touch to align the two. I always sit down with the rifle on my lap, ejection port facing upward, righthand extractor centered in the port, push the safety forward and ease the bolt home. I have been humbled more than once by this system and have had guys call, desperate and frustrated to get their bolts back in. On the M591 the projection is on the magazine alignment system.

Good luck and have fun, that is what it is all about.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 06-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Supporting Member

Playing with that bolt to get it just right to slip in -- and when all is right it does just slip in -- I decided to order one of those 20 caliber bore snakes. Figured I'd cut messing with the bolt when I wanted to clean the bore.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Supporting Member

Well I am one frustrated old man, finally got time to do the bolt head swap the pin was very tight but once it shifted it was easy, I made sure I did several runs at removing the bolt and putting it back just to get the feel and all was good.

Until trying to get it in with the Schroeder bolt head in place, an hour and i'm done took on board all the tips but it will no go in, I think maybe its a 592 issue that Lowell made reference to

Ive put away until tomorrow need to chill a bit

Johno