Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-05-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Your favorite McMillan stock?

I was wondering what is your favorite McMillan stock for varmint shooting?

On the ground?
On a table?
Off hand?

I myself quite like the the A-3 modell..
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 AM

Default Hunter class

A couple years I built a 20 VT on a hunter class McMillian stock. I had a swivel stud added so I could use a Harris bi-pod on it. Wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but I really do. The bi-pod option is great for shooting off the ground or a table. The 2 1/4 inch wide flat stock rides a rest pretty nice.

It is not for carrying around much or shooting off hand. If I want to miss something off hand I will use my 17 HMR.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

None, they're plastic crap.

Gotta have wood on my guns.

Old fashioned old fart.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-06-2019, 05:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i have has several but sold them, too heavy but very consistent. I have one on a 20 vt now that I don't shoot. I think its because the stock makes the gun heavier than a sako vixen should.
I personally prefer the mpi by doc for my day to day rifles. used a hs precision on a bench/varmint rifle on a Lawton action. felt like I need wheels on it so I sold it too.

George why don't you tell us how you really feel. can't help but feel like you are holding back.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Supporting Member

A few years ago, on one of the long range hunting forums, the question was asked if anyone liked the idea of a "laminated" A5. Last I saw there was about 125 pages of people that were all over that idea. I ended up with a "A5L". Laminated A5 in just about any color you could think of. Mine ended up being pictured on the WWW before I ever saw it. We named it "San Francisco Camo". A little on the heavier side but it IS an A5. Most of my stocks are of the bench rest style (think heavy fence post) so the weight isn't a problem.
Here's the Man that makes them. Joel Russo. www.russoriflestocks.com
Don't think I can post a picture of mine. An email will get you one if interested, Mike.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

nice stock, he tells you everything on his website but the price. not so sure you answered the original post question, unless your are saying you are a wood stock kind of guy.
I would like to try a McMillan edge stock but trey are a little pricy but may be cheap compared to a Russo.
by the way my xp-100 has a Russo stock on it from several years ago, nice stock.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Default In pd town I shoot off a bench....

For that I have been buying the Shehane MBR Tracker made by McMillan.
For coyote rifles I like the Sako Hunter.
Matt
Old 01-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Living in the south, I much prefer synthetic over wood due to the high humidity/moisture issues. I have really come to like the McMillan HTG stocks for most of my hunting. I believe they are actually lighter than HS Precision stocks. The only downside with the HTG without an adjustable cheekpiece is the low angle of the stock or comb height. However I use a stock pack on all of my hunting rifles and this easily compensates for the low stock.

As for shooting off a bench or prone with a bipod, its hard to beat the McMillan A5. Though heavy, it settles in instantly and nicely!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM

MBR, Kestros, Marksman, and I had a McHale that I wish I'd never sold
Old 01-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Supporting Member

Bought a 'mcmillan' off fleabay, think it's an M40. In quotes because it has the name of the person who made it in the barrel channel. Toured the factory and I think the guy taking me around said newbies make a couple of stocks before they will be making product. May be wrong. Nice stock for varminting.
Having said that I have two MPI stocks which I prefer because the circumference of the wrist is slimmer. Also the forearm. For a hunting rifle that is major consideration. Compare a Kimber with the MPI stock to a Weatherby with a B&C.

Also like my Brown Precision stocks for the same reason. McMillans are great stocks, just like a hunting rifle to handle like a bird gun.

And yeah, George, if I could hunt as much as I want, it would be with a wood stocked gun. A 99.

Last edited by barretcreek; 01-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.