Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Supporting Member

Actually I have shot one of mine with 15 grs of 1680 & could probably get a little more in. That turns out to be a pretty mild load & produces 3000fps with 40 gr bullet. I'm going to try 1680 in my Anschutz because it is so efficient. Good luck with yours. -10.............my ass would be right in front of the fireplace, not at a shooting range. Ugh! Seriously, the information you get in that sort of weather will be pretty useless when it warms up. But if you are hunting coyotes in the cold, maybe this is good stuff, just don't try to use this ammo next summer.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnfish08 View Post
Rifle is a Stevens 322A. Manufactured between 1947-49. I bought it a few years ago and had it K'd.
Being that old it could easily have a .222 or. 223 barrel. It was very common on the old Hornets made before 1955. There is no problem shooting .224 bullets through them but they do make a little more pressure. You can still buy .223 bullets from Sierra, and there may be others available in the States, if your gun has the smaller bore.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Default flattened primers are never an issue in my k-hornet

I use small rifle and 11.0 gr of 4227.. 35 gr vmax.. p-dogs hate it..lol
Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I have 2 chronys and am a HUGE believer in them but I have worked up way more loads using no chrony... it’s just one excellent tool to use that will help you tremendously in load development... safety should always be #1 no matter what the cost may be.

Flat primers may or may not be high pressure. On those loads the primer flow is of more concern to me... I hate primer flow... but take s good look at some factory loaded rounds... one day years ago I told Rem to look at these primers another guy was shooting factory loaded 204 Ruger ammo... I said I self see primers looking this flat in any of my wildcats...

but that said primers are a quick easy way to make a good guess and nothing more. Without good strain gauge or some other reliable means we are all speculating on the pressures.

I have no problem working up any load without a chrony and seldom set it up and I normally like to get all the performance I can from a cartridge.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Reamer dimension vs case size

One of the reasons for premature loose primer pockets is the size of the chamber vs the brass dimension.

For example, on a new piece of brass, if you have .006-.007 expansion to form to the chamber wall, then the primer pockets are going to open up quick.

In most cases, if you look at a fired piece of brass, there will be a bulge in front of the web.

Reamers ordered special with excess clearance will leade to long primer pocket life.