Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2019, 07:05 PM

Default 17 WSM - opinions, please

I'm wrestling with the idea of purchasing a .17 WSM. The wrestling involves (a) is the caliber worth messing with at all? (b) Is the Ruger, running north of $800 worth the money opposed to the Savage offerings which may or may not shoot well and are worth their weight in ugly? and (c) Would it probably be a better idea to stick with the .17 AH I already have (two, actually)?

I think I really want to be talked out of this.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 PM

If you do not reload it might be alright. At the same time you can not ever have too many guns.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 PM

My cousin had a 17WSM(Savage). Could NEVER get it to shoot better then 1.5" at 100 yards. He tossed the idea of it. I don't know anything about the Ruger offering. I am just getting into the 17AH and love the idea of it all around. And I can see myself getting more centerfire 17's before ever entertaining the 17WSM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Default 17 WSM - opinions, please

Like many calibers, some are in love with it and like it over the 17hmr, etc. I have seen both in action and will stick with my hmr.
With you have the 17AH, unless you want a nice rimfire and not bother with reloading, I would just stick with them.
However it is always nice to add something new to the flock Bill K
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

The early Savage Bmags were problematic. Get a HB SS with laminated stock and a K or later prefix and they shoot great. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when I see the bitty groups my gun shoots, it is beautiful, and the best $400 I ever spent on a gun.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

It is nice to add to the flock. I have 3 HMR's and 3 WSM's. I do reload, but don't always want to have to. The .17 WSM is the king of the rimfire hill.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:13 PM

I purchased my Ruger 17 WSM new from a local outdoor store in the Houston Tx area. I had already purchased a few other items to go with it, JARD 1.5 trigger, and a Boyds Coyote Pro Varmint. Boyds is the worst customer service you can find in my opinion, but that’s another rant for another time.

I sent the barreled action to Randy at Connecticut Precision Chambering where he installed a .920 SS straight 24” 6 groove Schilen barrel and my JARD trigger.

I shoot the 20 gr Hornaday VMax and have been very pleased with the results. Even though the ammunition made by Winchester is not the best, I’ve been very please with the results. Since Nosler has started producing 17 HMR rounds, maybe they will eventually produce 17 WSM. The target below is not my best at 100 but is close to average.

When I go on a trip, my 17 HMR still goes with me, but the 17 WSM is used for most of the time. When in a target rich environment, I like not having to worry about locating my brass, getting my brass mixed up with someone else’s, etc.

Even though this rifle setup cost quite a bit when I completed the build, I would do it again.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
It is nice to add to the flock. I have 3 HMR's and 3 WSM's. I do reload, but don't always want to have to. The .17 WSM is the king of the rimfire hill.
I agree. It makes me wonder if the 17 WSM would have come out first, would we even have a HMR.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
I'm wrestling with the idea of purchasing a .17 WSM. The wrestling involves (a) is the caliber worth messing with at all? (b) Is the Ruger, running north of $800 worth the money opposed to the Savage offerings which may or may not shoot well and are worth their weight in ugly? and (c) Would it probably be a better idea to stick with the .17 AH I already have (two, actually)?

I think I really want to be talked out of this.

If I already had the two rifles you mention, I doubt if I would have purchased my 17 WSM since I already have an HMR. I do like shooting lots of rounds and not have to worry about the brass.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

Would loved to have seen this introduced in three calibers 17, 22 & 22 with some different rifle manufactures

Johno