Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-24-2019, 11:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default Has anyone made

I was having a discussion with another left hand shooter last week about left handed rifles and while I can think of a few makers of left hand actions and rifles I am a bit stumped as to if anyone made a magazine fed left hand rifle in 222Rem.

I think Kimber may have but I've never seen one, Cooper may do but I'm not sure and both of those are very rare in New Zealand.

So did any manufacturer make a left hand magazine fed rifle in a suitably (or any) sized action in 222Rem??

The other cartridge talked about was the Hornet, the only manufacturer that I can think of that made a left hand magazine fed action is Browning, anybody know of any others?

Years ago I had a Sako in 222 that I traded for a left hand rifle, it always felt awkward using right hand rifles to shoot left handed (and I am naturally right handed, it took me a lot of time and effort to convert to shooting left handed) I always regretted selling it and have always wanted a left hand 222Rem.

Talking about left handed rifles I learnt recently that Mossberg made a true left hand 22rf in 1937...………..Kiwi
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

I have a Savage Model 12 stainless steel repeater short action that I use as a single shot. Just added an adaptor to take the place of the mag. Depending on stock style, a mag bottom metal could be fitted.
I built it into a Specialty Pistol, shot it for a while, got rid of the rear grip pistol stock and now use that action as a bench rest rig. Also use it as a test bed for different caliber barrels by swapping barrels and bolt heads as needed.
That action is mounted on a Whidden V block that is fitted on to a Richard's Micro-Fit Bench Rest style right hand thumb hole stock.
I'am right handed and wanted to see how it felt shooting a left hand action right handed. Right hand stays in the thumb hole while my left hand feeds ammo and works the bolt. I love it more than shooting my right hand rigs.
I have a hard time going back to my right hand rigs. Still have to take my hand off the stock to work the bolt.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply, the 222Rem is wanted as a hunting/walkabout rifle so offside bolt means you have to reach over the top of the scope to work the bolt while holding onto the forearm to support the rifle.

This is the reason a left bolt is required along with a magazine...………….Kiwi
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Hi Kiwi,
It is a pity you must have a magazine as the old Sako S491's were made in left hand. I don't have one for you but if I come across one for sale I will let you know. Ray Beavis who you may have met at a BR match has just purchased a S591 22-250 in left hand. In fact all his firearms are left hand I could see what he is selling at the moment.

Pete
Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 PM

Maybe a Browning Lever Rifle in 222 would work. Here's one:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101186172

Bruce
Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the options, but really looking for a bolt action that is around the same scale as a Sako 461.

I'm suspecting that Kimber may have been the only one that made a left bolt magazine fed 222Rem...…..finding one of them would be a bit like finding a live Moa here in NZ.

Pete I think only the M591 & L691 were the only ones in that series to come in left hand the S491 was only available in right hand.

I have a M591 Battue that may get it's barrel changed if NZ brings in the .300 caliber limit that is being talked about gets bought in.

Sako did make the L61 and L75 in left hand for the long cartridges (30/06, 270 etc)

I'm still searching along with another leftie for that elusive 222Rem magazine fed left hand rifle.

Years ago I saw a pic of a Sako 461 that hada left bolt and right port, obviously someone had converted it...………...Kiwi
Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 PM

Zastava made their M85 small action rifles in LH.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15947430

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...va-mini-mauser

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 05-25-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Pete I think only the M591 & L691 were the only ones in that series to come in left hand the S491 was only available in right hand.
You could be right about that as I have not seen one myself. I will keep looking for something for you because if I find something I intend to be back over again next May.

Pete
Old 05-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Yes the Zastava is/was available in NZ in L/H but like the CZ 527 they were only in 223Rem and 204 Ruger, for some reason they never bought them out in 222Rem.

Bit like CZ made the left hand 452 in 22lr and 17Hmr but not the 17HM2 or 22WMR. Remington made a lefthand 581 but not a lefthand 591 in 5mm Mag.

I searched high and low for a L/H 22WMR and found a Cooper a number of years ago, but if the following were made in Lefthand I'd own a few, Browning A bolt 22lr or 22WMR, Anshutz Sporter on a Match 54 action, Ruger 77/22 or 77/22WMR and numerous other rimfire rifles would really love a lefthand Sako 461...……………….Kiwi
Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 AM

Kiwi,
The previous model Sako, the 75 series was made in 222 left hand according to the Sako web site. Hopefully you could find a second hand one that no one wants.
https://www.sako.fi/rifles/old-models/75-hunter

Pete