Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Supporting Member

IMO, the 20 VT is one of the best small caliber cartridges that we can choose from.....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

just a little eye candy, sako l461 20 vt

Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Default 20vt

Foxhunter, I believe that was my gun and you bought it, or it’s a replica of mine.
Darn nice rifle.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

those are your shoes in the last picture, lol, yes a great rifle.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:04 PM

One question I didn't ask - how much does barrel length affect velocity in this calibre? I'm tempted to cut it down a bit from 22". I'd like it more like 18" really but don't want to ruin it. It won't be for silly long range shooting, probably sub 200 yards. I have a 7STW for when I need to get out there a bit.

Edit - Just looking at XP100 data in a 12" barrel. Even that would push enough velocity for what I want!

Last edited by njc110381; 07-11-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 PM

My barrel on one, that I had Bob Green rechamber from 204 ruger is a 18 inch
the other barrel on another Howa action is 23 inch. the 18 inch is only about 150 FPS slower and accuracy is good on either, with the loads worked up.
If you are not shooting over 400 yrds, don't believe you will see much difference, especially if you work up a cheat sheet for dialing your scope for the given load in a 18 inch barrel. Bill K
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

22" to 24" range for barrel length is more than sufficient for the 20VT. I have had 5 (so far). Made the mistake of selling my favorite one...my Mighty Mouse (Cooper Model 21)...to CaptQC (buddy of RickinOregon) several years ago. Last I heard I'll never get it back! Don't be afraid of long range shots with it as it will amaze you with its performance. I use mainly 39gr Blitzkings or 40gr V-Max bullets. A little slower, BUT great over the long haul. When I was actively shooting PD fields in AZ I never managed to find a PD that ranged over 500 yds, BUT my 2 longest kills were at 477 and 470 laser ranged yds off the same mound and my lady friend followed me up with a 455 yd kill with the Mouse. The 20VT offers the MOST fun anyone can have with a rifle that I've ever witnessed, and all with only 17.5-18.5 grs of H4198 a pop! Post and let us know how this adventure went.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
My barrel on one, that I had Bob Green rechamber from 204 ruger is a 18 inch
the other barrel on another Howa action is 23 inch. the 18 inch is only about 150 FPS slower and accuracy is good on either, with the loads worked up.
If you are not shooting over 400 yrds, don't believe you will see much difference, especially if you work up a cheat sheet for dialing your scope for the given load in a 18 inch barrel. Bill K
That's the sort of report I was hoping to read. It sounds like things get a bit unsteady, perhaps because of muzzle blast, when you go below 15". If I stick to 16-18" it should be good in that case. I'm not a long range shooter really. The longest shots I've ever taken on live quarry are around 350 yards. I don't do dialling, I do aiming off a bit and over the years I've become quite good at that as long as I don't take it out any further. Most of my fox shots are inside 200 yards, in fact a good number are under 100! I pretty much want something to duplicate my old .22 Hornet that has long gone, but in a more interesting package!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:51 AM

Unfortunately, everybody loves their 221 Fireballs and 20 Vtg's too much to take one for the team and start cutting off an inch at a time to determine barrel length and velocity comparison. Fireball case only holds 2/3 powder volume of 223. I simply looked at the .223 barrel length comparison and did a guestimate and I think anything over 20" is personal choice.

With the help of Sherm, I just converted a Sako L46 to 20 Vartarg with a Pacnor barrel cut to 22" length. Barrel and action were re-blued to match and looks fantastic. My rifle's stock is the slender walking/stalking profile (slender forearm), which became limiting factor on barrel profile We sent my barrel to Pacnor to match the profile from the chamber to tip of forearm and then I kept the barrel diameter straight (no taper) to the end. I plan to shoot suppressed so I wanted the additional thickness for rigidity and threading. I went with 22" length to match/balance the rifle.

For what its a 20" barrel on a bolt gun feels same as 16" on an AR15
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 AM

I've just used pistol info to come to a vague conclusion, and Bill K's post was helpful too. It's amazing nobody with a barrel which needs replacing hasn't thought about hacking off a little at a time. Accuracy isn't really in question, only velocity and that would be similar enough from a shot out barrel.

I think I will most likely settle on 16-18" and just go for it. If shooting long range then I guess the velocity matters more, but I won't be. My choice will be based on how short I can go and still fit an over barrel moderator/suppressor without it snagging on the stock!