Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
A note of caution. Prior to messing with neck length, one better be damn sure that the formed case is solidly headspacing on the shoulder.

Having said that......I've made case neck lengths at about 0.001" short of the Sinclair plug gage reading.......and fired them. But that's just me. I would have to recommend that others allow for a greater margin of error.

Upon firing, the overall case length should slightly shorten.

Fitting case necks around the MLS(Mean Little Shoulder) of a given chamber, is a bit tedious.

Below is a pic of a 17-222 long neck case.......a little extreme, but yes, it actually fits the chamber of an old custom Sako I have.

Kevin
I agree with your head space statement. Pushing shoulders back and forth and the exercises associated with fixing the screw ups caused by ignorance is, once completed, hopefully a lesson well learned and not desired to be repeated with any regularity.

Case forming is in fact as you say "tedious", but once one gets his process and equipment set up, then its just like most anything else in life. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.

Thanks Kevin for your post. Jim

Last edited by JLDakota; 07-16-2011 at 01:05 PM.