Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM

A friend had the same problem on a #1 in 25-06. We ended up putting on a Burris that had the turrets in a more forward than normal position. It was a 3-9, but I don't remember the model number. This was about 12 years ago so I'm sure the models have changed a bunch since then. That gun sure did shoot the 100 gr Sierra into tiny bugholes. For some reason, I couldn't get him to sell it to me...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Ruger #1 scope mounting suggestions and experienced insight

My thanks to those that posted on my situation and those that pm'd/called me with insight and experiences. Some of the info I had sorta figured out but much of it I didn't even have a clue. With zero background in #1's I didn't know what I didn't know so the forum search function wasn't yeilding me much because of my ignorance of appropriate terminolgy to search. I feel blessed to have had access to all of your backgrounds. Thank you again. I truly appreciate the time you've saved me from stumbling around in the desert. Jim
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Hi,
Exactly the same problem here. Infuriating! Finally got it sorted with a MTC Viper scope. Not 100% happy though as the reticle has more lines than my 88 year old mother in law's face! Switch on the IR and it's like a Christmas tree.
Had I been your side of the pond, I'd have tried the Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-piece Tactical Picatinney Scope Base Ruger No1 that I found on Midway but for us it's priced too high to purchase unseen and which may not work - Have to say still thinking about it though!

Edit: PS - Should have asked, has anyone tried these?

Last edited by rigger; 04-20-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Looks like we need an older scope,with longer dimentions,between the turret block (6-7") ,long eye relief (4-4.5")or both.Other options are the long target scopes like Redfield 3200,Lyman ,and Unertle.Off-set rings will give you 1",but you maybe restricted to a 1" tube (Ruger?).Leupolds will need to be high,if your scope has a turret block that encircles the tube.I haven't had there bases in hand,but they seem to be the best solution for the Ruger #1 & #3,using modern scopes.Backordered at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...-1-SCOPE-BASES

Last edited by Joe O; 04-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

I use the Baush and Lomb 6x24s and the Newer Bushnell 3200/4200 6x24as on my number ones and threes. I find I can easily get those mounted far enough back to work well. If you use shorter bodied scopes you are going to need to use one of the many varieties of extension bases/mounts that can be bought for these.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Thankyou for the thread JLD, your question and the replies have resulted in me pulling my finger out. As said, I wasn't really happy so have now ordered the Leatherwood from MidwayUK. Perhaps just as well - they are now also on back order having, it seems, had just the one in stock.